• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 8Gb installed 4Gb hardware reserved?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Reseating the RAM and CPU seems to have solved the problem!
----
Okay so I have the Phenom rig up and running but after many failed overclocking messages I realised that the BIOS shows only 4Gb of RAM. The BIOS CAN read the SPD info for BOTH sticks so Im not sure what's going on.

Windows resource monitor shows 4GB "Hardware Reserved". CPUz can see both sticks installed as well.

Now some background info:
I installed my blue G.Skill sticks, 7-8-8-24 and the system threw me an overclocking failed message. I had previously dropped one of these blue sticks and the corner is damaged slightly so i swapped in my known good Red G.Skill sticks 9-9-9-24 and still got the same error using known good settings. When booting the DRAM_LED light would stay lit and the system would not boot. I even reseated and used different slots.

I am up and running p95 currently but still only have 4GB usable. CPU is overclocked using known 100% stable settings. RAM timings are set manually. 9-9-9-24 2T. Both kits are 2X4GB.

I DID have some water leak onto the first RAM slot and the VRM area but i used compressed air to blow out the water. I spilled water on the RAM slot a week ago.
The mobo was unpowered save for the CMOS battery.
Not sure what to do since the system knows the 2nd stick is there, it just wont use it...
Any ideas? Thanks :)

Last edited:
If you've never had 4GB+ usable on that rig, I'd check for a BIOS update.

Thats just it. I have always had 8Gb installed and usable.... BIOS is up to date as well.

Regardless, i seemed to have fixed the issue. I reseated the CPU and the blue G.Skill RAM and all appears to be well again. Full 8GB usable and my overclocking profiles seem to function correctly.

I also discovered that one of my red G.Skill sticks has gone bad! The DRAM_LED stays lit with that stick installed and wont POST but the system boots and posts fine with the other stick installed in the same spot.

So i have to RMA to G.Skill. I guess the culprit was a bad CPU mount. Maybe some thermal paste got on the pins... I cleaned them with some rubbing alcohol.

Sooo i guess this is solved then :shrug: Carry on fellas!

Did you test 1 GOOD stick in each memory slot???? I had this same problem and one stick failed when tested. I was not sure if it was the memory (as all info could be read from it) or the IMC. I place a different chip in and immediately got the CPU error light :( Both chips RMAed to AMD, with a email back verifying they were bad. Board RMAed back to ASUS (For like the 5th time) for being bad.
I know it's the same board because I was a noob :) I decided to use RED LET on the back to make sure I covered everything, but I could not get it out of all the small holes :(

Thanks

From the TrashCan Pup :)

Did you test 1 GOOD stick in each memory slot???? I had this same problem and one stick failed when tested. I was not sure if it was the memory (as all info could be read from it) or the IMC. I place a different chip in and immediately got the CPU error light :( Both chips RMAed to AMD, with a email back verifying they were bad. Board RMAed back to ASUS (For like the 5th time) for being bad.
I know it's the same board because I was a noob :) I decided to use RED LET on the back to make sure I covered everything, but I could not get it out of all the small holes :(

Thanks

From the TrashCan Pup :)

All the other sticks tested fine. It was only that one stick regardless of slot.
Really not sure how it died sitting on my desk for the past month. :confused:

Hehe trashcan pup, I love it :rofl:

Back