• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Gaming Router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creadoris

Registered
Hello,

I current own a TP-LINK N600 and it's just horrible. It consistently drops out if a new device joins the network and the UI/Firmware is just painful to both use and interpret. I have recently updated the firmware which didn't really improve anything

I looking for a suitable replacement. My Criteria:

- Good UI/Firmware. Easy to interpret and to manage clients.
- At least 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 2.4/5ghz wireless (not for gaming so much, more media streaming)
- USB 3 ports (preferably 2)
- Can be wall mounted (not a deal breaker but still preferred).
- Doesn't require port forwarding for simple stuff like Xbox live(unlike my current router).

Obviously the lower the price the better. But I would happily shell out $200 if it solved my issues.

Thanks

Are you using Ethernet or WiFi for your gaming system?

My TPLink Archer C7 has been awesome for a couple of years now, wouldn't break the budget and I think it meets all your requirements.

Are you using Ethernet or WiFi for your gaming system?

My TPLink Archer C7 has been awesome for a couple of years now, wouldn't break the budget and I think it meets all your requirements.

No, all my gaming is done over Ethernet. And I'm Really not a fan of TPLinks firmware. So I wont be getting another one of those anytime soon.

Have you thought about building a PFSense box?
Do you like OpenWRT?

I currently have a netgear nighthawk r7000 and like it decently well.

If I redid everything I would have gone with a ubiquti Unifi for the wireless portion

I currently have a netgear nighthawk r7000 and like it decently well.

If I redid everything I would have gone with a ubiquti Unifi for the wireless portion

I have a nighthawk router as well and have never regretted the purchase. They are a little pricey but you can catch them on sale for a reasonable price every so often.

I was looking at the Nighthawk. The Asus RT-AC68U also cuaght my eye.

iv'e got the Asus RT-AC68U and love it, don't really know a lot about them.
but it gives me no problems at all, i get very strong signals, and pick up a lot more neighbors than i used to :p

seriously though it has plenty of features...

iv'e got the Asus RT-AC68U and love it, don't really know a lot about them.
but it gives me no problems at all, i get very strong signals, and pick up a lot more neighbors than i used to :p

seriously though it has plenty of features...

How does your router help you pick up more networks from your neighbors??

as i said, i don't know a real lot about em. but i seem to get more range out of this one than my crappy old N router ?

as i said, i don't know a real lot about em. but i seem to get more range out of this one than my crappy old N router ?

I'm not saying your current router couldn't get a better range than your old one, but questioning how changing YOUR router made you pick up more NEIGHBOR'S Wi-Fi signals.

Are the neighbors showing up in the router interface or being connectable via your computer? If on the router that's possible via a signal strength/channel finding tool. If on the laptop it has nothing to do with that.

Back