• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Skylake vs Old Dedicated GPU for Photoshop Acceleration?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

How do the Skylake onboard graphics compare to a 7 year old graphics card (Nvidia 260GTX), specifically in Photoshop CC?

I do not game at all, nor do I do any 3D modeling or use any of the Phoshop 3D features. I have been looking for a comparison, but have not been able to find one for this specific application. It looks like the old graphics cards still destroy the onboard graphics in 3D benchmark applications, but I am not sure that is a relevant comparison for 2D GPU accelerated applications such as this.

I would love to get run just the CPU so I don't burn through so much power and continue to heat my room...I am trying to put together an ITX system. The Skylake CPU only system will only draw about 100W under load, whereas my current system draws almost 400W.

My suggestion, get the CPU and try it.
Since you want the CPU anyway, and I completely understand why with the heat, it is definitely worth the shot.

You can set up a test in Photoshop CC once you have the system running and time it with/without the GPU.

Also, check out the build in my sig, my gaming system is mITX with Skylake and a 980Ti.

Don't some of those tests mimic what PS is doing? There are no games...some of it may not apply, but some does. Can you find anything that compares them directly by chance? I cannot. :(

My guess is that the iGPU will perform close enough to the dedicated card to warrant exclusion of the dedicated card. These Skylake iGPUs are pretty decent comparatively, from what I understand.

Don't some of those tests mimic what PS is doing? There are no games...some of it may not apply, but some does. Can you find anything that compares them directly by chance? I cannot. :(

That's almost all ps style stuff hence why it was chosen... Lol

Thanks! I hadn't seen that benchmark, but it certainly adds some confidence. I'm not working with many body physics or lighting rendering so it looks like it should be competitive without a dedicated card. I think the place where I may run into problems is if I upgrade to 4K displays as that will quadruple the number of pixels it has to preview when doing basic adjustments without it lagging...I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Back