• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good Wireless Card / Stick for PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Getting a new place, and one thing about the house is my main router will be away from my desk. Roughly 40ft, same floor, maybe 1 wall inbetween it but no chance of getting a wired connection to it without going across a walk way or pesky wires being shown, so likely hood of getting it wired at least right away is slim to non.
That being said trying to find a good card or usb stick to use. Looking for AC wireless.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I don't run an AC capable card but I use a tp-link wireless pci-e card and have never had issues. If you hop on Amazon and search for wireless pci-e card there are a few AC capable cards from tp-link depending on what you are looking to spend.

If you have a cable outlet in both rooms, you should consider MoCA or MoCA 2.0!

You could look into an Intel 7260 with a PCIe adapter (think the exact model is a 7260HMWDTX1). I've had a 6205 with an adapter in my desktop for years (the Wireless-N non bluetooth variant) and it's been one of the best if not the best wifi adapter I used, getting a solid connection across a 3,000ft ranch house.

But at 40 feet and one wall at most, you could probably get away with something more basic.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Lochekey - Looking at that as well now the Asus model that can sit on the desk.

JrClocker - That is something I'll have to look at. I know there is jacks around the place just not sure if its in the spot where i'd need it. Something to look into more.

freakdiablo - Something with a strong signal isn't bad :) I'd rather pay for something good/reliable now then have issues with it later. Besides my PC sits inside a solid wood desk... signal strength can be something of a good thing. I'll check out Intel's offerings as well. After looking again might be 60ft... eeh whats a few feet with 1 finished wall between you and it.

Well I did end up going with the TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900. Works like a charm no issues setting it up and it was a good price too.
Mind you with my case in my desk that is solid wood, lots of cables in the back right now and just all out general mess at my place getting really decent connection. Even pulling faster transfer speeds from wireless than my wired line from my server. Its nice.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Back