• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Zen Will Compete Favorably with Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
http://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-news/amd-claims-zen-will-favorably-compete-intel/29434/

I hope they have been able to bridge the gap alot more and now with their own version of HT. if i can get a dual cpu board + 2 8cores with their version of HT as a low cost, im in!

do i have things right, amd's SMT = intel HT? i thought AMD had smt for a while but when i read things amd equal core count equal thread count so that threw me off. fill me in guys, cause i want to get some rigs in the low cost/PPD for rosetta running. cause as it is im trying to find another old LGA1366 board to put a xeon X5660.

It's funny they say “..We are far closer to Intel than ever before” in the article, considering AMD was the industry leader at one point.

I read that in an overclock3d post earlier. I don't think anything mentioned exactly close to which intel architecture. If they mean skylake/broadwell-e then here's hoping for them to even the playing field.

do i have things right, amd's SMT = intel HT?

SMP: Symmetric Multi Processing (e.g. multiple cores/sockets on one cpu/board)
SMT: Symmetric Multi Threading (e.g. multiple threads on one core)

"HyperThreading" is just a brand/trademark Intel uses for SMT, like FreeSync is a brand/trademark AMD uses for VESA Adaptive-Sync.

you always need a number two to keep them honest,”

Geez, guys. Aim a little higher. The "Hertz Syndrome" seems to be institutional now.

I want to believe, but what we really need is for Zen to be in the wild and not just something to talk about. Same with Polaris.

Having said that... if they match Intel in price, performance, power, there still would need to be a reason to choose AMD over Intel anyway. I note the quote was "compare favorably", not match.

I want to believe, but what we really need is for Zen to be in the wild and not just something to talk about. Same with Polaris.

Having said that... if they match Intel in price, performance, power, there still would need to be a reason to choose AMD over Intel anyway. I note the quote was "compare favorably", not match.

I honestly would not be surprised if people jumped outta the Intel ship just to see if the grass was greener in this case. With so many years of Intel dominance, AMD may get some converts of people just trying to get away from Intel. I'm personally quite excited to see the Zen based APUs for mobile devices. Sadly, that will be next year IIRC.

I read that in an overclock3d post earlier. I don't think anything mentioned exactly close to which intel architecture. If they mean skylake/broadwell-e then here's hoping for them to even the playing field.

They were comparing Zen to Haswell originally, not Skylake or Broadwell-E.

They were comparing Zen to Haswell originally, not Skylake or Broadwell-E.

That's what I had thought too. Unfortunately if that's the case by the time Zen comes out they will be 2 generations behind on Intel CPUs.

My 2c, I hope AMD goes after Haswell rather than Skylake. I've only seen an increase in AVX and FP when looking at Haswell and Skylake. I like to think that AMD moved away from trying to multi-thread everything to, multi-thread what you can but single-thread is the king in speed. Which is Intel's logic for most of their CPUs.

My 2c, I hope AMD goes after Haswell rather than Skylake. I've only seen an increase in AVX and FP when looking at Haswell and Skylake. I like to think that AMD moved away from trying to multi-thread everything to, multi-thread what you can but single-thread is the king in speed. Which is Intel's logic for most of their CPUs.

That and a massive multi-threading increase.

Desktop grade x86 CPUs do not need to have a high capability to handle multi-threading. If you need something on that level, start looking into GPGPU, PHi, Xeons/Opterons, FPGAs, etc. The x86 ISA was never created to handle mutli-threading and has only been shifted to do so. Its basically asking an orange to turn into a grapefruit. Yeah you get Blood Oranges but you don't get a grapefruit.

Desktop grade x86 CPUs do not need to have a high capability to handle multi-threading.
Depends on the usage model/user... There are plenty of people that can use a shed load of cores. Certainly, a quad is plenty for most, but, there are plenty of users that utilize all the cores. Content creation, sim crunching, etc to name two.

Desktop grade x86 CPUs do not need to have a high capability to handle multi-threading. If you need something on that level, start looking into GPGPU, PHi, Xeons/Opterons, FPGAs, etc. The x86 ISA was never created to handle mutli-threading and has only been shifted to do so. Its basically asking an orange to turn into a grapefruit. Yeah you get Blood Oranges but you don't get a grapefruit.

While this is correct it is still a big step on intel's side for them to finally upgrade the chips to actually scale in multithreading. The skylake stuff is the first batch to actually keep up with the older AMD parts

@ed
Yes those that work in feilds that require a beefier core to run mutli-threading are advised to buy or create a chip that can do the multi-tasking for them. Creators utilize GPGPUs or GPUs to render. Verification Engineers use Xeon CPUs. Simulators will use what ever they get their hands on.

I'll tell all of you guys right now, all the companies working in the x86 core world are moving away from the one size fit all architecture. They market is fragmenting too much with the end of the cell phone race and the beginning of the IOT race. In the next 5 years, we will see specilized cores for applications rather than an Intel x86 CPU in all products. Why do you think Intel cut ties with their mobile CPU division? Its so that they can make room for the future. ARM became the king in mobile, so instead of fighting Intel will adopt and change their gears.

AMD is doing the same thing, but maybe a bit slower. Who knows, their doors are shut tighter than usual and even direct contacts are not giving me anything.

I think you will see some massive fragmenting, but x86-64 wont be going anywhere anytime soon. I am however curious what custom chips AMD@china will be using.

That is any multi-threaded CPU though. Either from Intel's HEDT platform, their Xeon platform, or whatever AMD has (Opteron still?) or even their FX. Unless I am missing your point, people, at this time, need to buy specialty chips to do anything?

Back