• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving into new home. Must go wireless.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OGMCVilleTC

So I've been MIA for a while now. Changed jobs twice and have bought a new house. We're moving in here soon. The wife has adamantly refused to allow me to hardwire the house. So I have to go wireless. I have a Netgear Nighthawk x6 router. I am thinking about going with Ubiquiti ap's for full home coverage and I need as fast as possible speeds. Can I use the ap's with my current router? Should I just get an Ubiquiti router? I plan on using a Sophos UTM also. Anyone have any experience with Ubiquiti? Linus seems to like them. I'd appreciate any input y'all can provide.

I work with a PC support guy who has recommend Ubiquiti to me on a number of occasions. It looks like they have ac compatible APs, so I don't see why it won't work.

But...how big is the house and what's the longest distance from a device location to the Nighthawk? I'd be tempted to test the signal strength in the toughest locations before coming up with a gear plan.

Sometimes, centrally locating the router is the least expensive and most effective solution.

Hey OG, hope you are doing well.

I have the little brother to that router and have never had signal strength issues. As rbstern said I would test it out first.

Netgear R7000 running kong dd-wrt making it the best router ever...although i have not tried out netgears factory stock firmware (the newest version that is). ubiquiti i never tried though.

i do know that PFsense is the way to go though if you want FAST wifi. from my understanding, fast speeds on both wired and wireless are based off of CPU speed and probably architecture.

EDIT: also, hi

Back