• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old school IBM Thinkpad bios problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottinIndy

So I have a friend that picked up a Think pad 600 at a yard sale this past weekend, ( circa 2002 ) He had to replace the CMOS battery and would like to get into the bios to reset some things, Problem is it has a bios password, Being the laptop is 14 years old it has no documentation, Wondering if anyone knows a way around the bios password, Honestly not sure if the password was set by IBM or the original owner of the laptop, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, all I know is that IBM didn't put a default password on those things, unless they did and then stopped at some point (used an old T40 in highschool which didn't have one). When he replaced the CMOS battery, did he remove the laptop battery and any external power?

Edit: I actually looked into it, and found this. Try to see if you can get that checkusm up and see if it gives you anything.

Well, all I know is that IBM didn't put a default password on those things, unless they did and then stopped at some point (used an old T40 in highschool which didn't have one). When he replaced the CMOS battery, did he remove the laptop battery and any external power?

Edit: I actually looked into it, and found this. Try to see if you can get that checkusm up and see if it gives you anything.

Thank you for the suggestions, No luck so far, As you know how this stuff goes, He only paid $8 for the laptop at a yard sale, Now it's a challenge!! Thanks again!!

You need a particular piece of hardware to win your challenge, not sure I can give the name here.

Back