• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600MHz/CL11 OR 1333MHz/CL9 ? both 8GB(8dims), REG/EEC, for Asus Z9PE-D8 WS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3Dgeo

Registered
Hello,

I'm doing 3D, video and simmilar stuff...

I need to pick 8 DDR3 RAM dimms (8gb each, 64 GB total)
I don't care about the price of them, all I care is performance for stuff I do.

Curently I'm looking at these:

1600MHz/CL11

and

1333MHz/CL9

As I said don't mind the price.
I'm not RAM expert, so any feedback or advice on performance, compatability with my MOBO are very welcome.

Last edited:
What programs are you using, this may affect what memory you want. Also, do you need ecc ram?

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, do you really need 64gb?

What programs are you using, this may affect what memory you want. Also, do you need ecc ram?

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, do you really need 64gb?

3D max, Photoshop, After Effects.

With all do respect - I didn't asked if I need 64 gb ram or EEC or not, I asked about their speed.

With respect, we are just trying to help save people money they may not need to spend... plenty of people come in here thinking they need XX but can get away with less. Its a perfectly valid question... :-/

It would be quite helpful if you listed your system specifications so we can best mate the ram to the system. It would be even better if you created a signature that contained your system specifications so we can easily see it.

As far as answering your question without having more information to better help you out, the speed will likely be a wash between the two honestly. Depending on your platform you can likely get a lot faster ram/get into the sweetspot for the platform. Those speeds are pretty slow for DD3 (why I asked for system specs above :)).

If you care about performance then get 1866+ CL8/9 non-ECC modules. 1333 CL9 or 1600 CL11 is slow and ECC won't really help.
If you want to compare latency then take a look here:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency
In theory 1333 CL9 should be slightly faster but higher memory clock is generally better. At the end it won't make any difference which one you pick.

If you care about performance then get 1866+ CL8/9 non-ECC modules. 1333 CL9 or 1600 CL11 is slow and ECC won't really help.
If you want to compare latency then take a look here:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency
In theory 1333 CL9 should be slightly faster but higher memory clock is generally better. At the end it won't make any difference which one you pick.

Thank You for Your reply, yah, I did found out that it will not make any diferents.
I'll go for whatever will look better :D

For others who tries to save my money or offer me other/non ECC rams:
Sorry, I dont need advice if I should get ECC or not or look for faster rams or buy less rams, actually if someone think I need non EEC rams they shouldn't post on this thread cos they don't have a clue what workstation is, thead name is specific: 1333/9 or 1600/11
I could substantiate why I need what I need, but it's way out of this topic.

Don't think it will make any diference at this point but specs are:
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
2 x E5 2670 (8C/16T)
Quadro 6000 (soon 2 x GTX 1070 or 1080)
2 x Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD (RAID0)
2 X WD 3TB Red (raid1)
64GB ram (32GB/CPU)
Fully custom watercooled

P.S. please, don't feel insulted and convert this thread to a battle field, no kitten will die if You don't post mean reply to this post.

For others who tries to save my money or offer me other/non ECC rams:
Sorry, I dont need advice if I should get ECC or not or look for faster rams or buy less rams, actually if someone think I need non EEC rams they shouldn't post on this thread cos they don't have a clue what workstation is, thead name is specific: 1333/9 or 1600/11
I could substantiate why I need what I need, but it's way out of this topic.

Don't think it will make any diference at this point but specs are:
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
2 x E5 2670 (8C/16T)
Quadro 6000 (soon 2 x GTX 1070 or 1080)
2 x Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD (RAID0)
2 X WD 3TB Red (raid1)
64GB ram (32GB/CPU)
Fully custom watercooled

P.S. please, don't feel insulted and convert this thread to a battle field, no kitten will die if You don't post mean reply to this post.

It helps to know so we can recommend the right speed..(didn't tell us it was a workstation until above, note. That may have prevented other questions...) but, you have it handled already! Please forgive us for asking anything outside of the scope of your initial question in a effort to better guide you...(I dont feel insulted... this is not a battlefield. No kittehs were harmed in the making of this post. :rofl:).

GL! :grouphug:

It helps to know so we can recommend the right speed..(didn't tell us it was a workstation until above, note. That may have prevented other questions...) but, you have it handled already! Please forgive us for asking anything outside of the scope of your initial question in a effort to better guide you...(I dont feel insulted... this is not a battlefield. No kittehs were harmed in the making of this post. :rofl:).

GL! :grouphug:

Wow, that was way more polite than I expected :D

Well, I did mentioned that I need rams for Asus Z9PE-D8 WS in the thread name, this is workstation MOBO (WS), from ECC rams and by work I do it should be even more clear, though obvioulsy not enough so sorry for that :)

GL to You aswell.

I apologize 3Dgeo if I offended you by asking some simple questions.

As for my questions there was a very specific reason they were asked and based on your original post they were legitimate questions. The original question was not posed as "I am trying to decide between these 2 kits and only these 2 kits" it was posed as "I am trying to decide on ram for my system and I care more for performance than price and oh here are 2 kits I am considering". You specifically mention that feedback and advice on performance is welcome, this tends to include question and well advice on your needs.
I'm not RAM expert, so any feedback or advice on performance, compatibility with my MOBO are very welcome.

As to the use of ECC ram, I understand you are using a workstation motherboard but this does not necessarily dictate the use of ECC Ram. There is plenty of people that run workstation mobo for non critical applications, I personally run 2 computers both equipped with workstation mobo, one at home and one at work, and neither run ECC ram. The work I do on these systems do not benefit from ECC ram and I prefer to gain the little performance benefit of running non ECC ram.

As to the use of 64gb of ram I was not necessarily trying to save you money but was instead interested in finding you a high performance kit for your application. It is a lot easier to find a 32gb kit rated at 1866 cl9 than it is to find a 64gb kit with the same ratings. If I had to choose between a 64b kit rated at 1600 cl11 versus a 32 gb kit rated at 1866 cl9, I would go with the 32gb kit every time unless I had a specific need for more ram. I do high detail 3d modeling of large complex machinery and have never once exceeded the 32gb in my system, not to say that you will not but I felt it was valid question.

Well I've muddied this thread enough and leave it at that. I hope that you are able to find the information you need to make an informed purchase.

Oh and trust me no Kitties were hurt in my herding efforts:D

I apologize 3Dgeo if I offended you by asking some simple questions.

As for my questions there was a very specific reason they were asked and based on your original post they were legitimate questions. The original question was not posed as "I am trying to decide between these 2 kits and only these 2 kits" it was posed as "I am trying to decide on ram for my system and I care more for performance than price and oh here are 2 kits I am considering". You specifically mention that feedback and advice on performance is welcome, this tends to include question and well advice on your needs.

As to the use of ECC ram, I understand you are using a workstation motherboard but this does not necessarily dictate the use of ECC Ram. There is plenty of people that run workstation mobo for non critical applications, I personally run 2 computers both equipped with workstation mobo, one at home and one at work, and neither run ECC ram. The work I do on these systems do not benefit from ECC ram and I prefer to gain the little performance benefit of running non ECC ram.

As to the use of 64gb of ram I was not necessarily trying to save you money but was instead interested in finding you a high performance kit for your application. It is a lot easier to find a 32gb kit rated at 1866 cl9 than it is to find a 64gb kit with the same ratings. If I had to choose between a 64b kit rated at 1600 cl11 versus a 32 gb kit rated at 1866 cl9, I would go with the 32gb kit every time unless I had a specific need for more ram. I do high detail 3d modeling of large complex machinery and have never once exceeded the 32gb in my system, not to say that you will not but I felt it was valid question.

Well I've muddied this thread enough and leave it at that. I hope that you are able to find the information you need to make an informed purchase.

Oh and trust me no Kitties were hurt in my herding efforts:D

Well ok, just becouse we manage to save few kittens, I will explain why I need ECC :D
I render 3D a LOT, sometimes few days straight, I don't want to risk crashing or stopping rendering.
I do simulations aswell - that could potentially crash due to ram error aswell.
I don't know, maybe regular rams will never crash or very very rarely crash, even idea that ECC rams are safer is enough for me to go with ECC. In worst case scenario what I will lose with slower rams? 1s? 1min? I could potentially lose few h or even days of work by not using ECC. I will always prefer safety vs speed when it comes to work. I don't feel like explaining to my client why I'm late on dead line just because of some, probably not even significant speed improvement.

Other side of the coin - even price isn't my biggest concern, 64GB ECC rams is freaking cheap, I can get 8 x 8gb dimms for 110-120 eur, new with lifetime warranty including shipping and import charges. 3 years ago I paid for 24GB (4gb/dimm) ECC almost 200 eur.

If any of You think I'm wrong - please, go ahead and prove it, just lets keep kittens safe pls :D

That link only proves my point:

"ECC RAM is many times more reliable than non-ECC RAM. And when high-value data is involved, that increase in reliability is almost always going to be worth the small monetary and performance costs. In fact, anytime it is possible to do so, we would recommend using ECC RAM."

Only 2% slower than regular rams in worst scenario! Wow, never dig in to that, but I can live with 2% and in my case ECC rams are even cheaper than non ECC :)

Anyway, I would like to go with 1600mhz dimms, but I can't find them with heat sink, I know heat sink isn't required, but with it I think they look nicer (my case isn't only about performance, I want to make it look cool aswell) and it serves as a touching protection

I know it does...that was the point. ;)

Good LAWD man...through this whe thread you've been on the defensive for no reason...Enjoy your rig... I'm out. :)

There is ECC in cache and other components and there are many other points which can generate errors. You build computer on an ASUS motherboard, use water cooling and desktop grade components for everything else but you worry about RAM stability which has probably the lowest fail rate ?
You got answer which memory is faster and I think it's end of this topic. No point to continue it as it won't change anything.

You build computer on an ASUS motherboard, use water cooling and desktop grade components for everything else

Wow, I think this is most stupid line in this thread :facepalm:

Please prove how come Asus Z9PE-D8 WS (dedicated workstation MOBO), Quadro 6000 (profesional graphic card with ECC vram), Intel Xeon E5 2670 (heavy duty server procesors), WD RED hdds (built in error corection, NAS ready, few in the world truly suited for raid) desktop grade components? :screwy: :rofl:
Even SSDs has 5 years warranty...
And why You picking up on water cooling? Does water cooling make it more unstable? You definetly don't do anything CPU intensive and don't realise how much heat they produse...

From that line of Yours I doubt You even know how PC looks like... :shock:

I'm not being defensive nor offensive, I'm just allergic to crap like this when "profesionals" post something stupid just because they need attention or try to look smart or simply just jealous. I mean really, even if this post had some scense - how it helps with a thread quastion? And no, I didn't get my answer, even that link with EEC rams stats are interesting, consideration of non ECC rams never was my option.

P.S. I'm afraid that post did kill a kitten....

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the bed you made with your initial attitude. I suggest if/when you decide to post here again, you do so with a bit less fire behind your posts. All anyone did here was try to to help... sure it was a bit out of scope, but there wasn't any need to continue on and then insult the volunteer 'professionals' trying to help.

Thread question asked and answered. To prevent further bickering... thread closed.

Last edited:
This is the bed you made with your initial attitude. I suggest if/when you decide to post here again, you do so with a bit less fire behind your posts. All anyone did here was try to to help.

Thread question asked and answered. To prevent further bickering... thread closed.

To add to this, please do not bypass the swear filter, I will be editing post #15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back