• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to learn more about basic networking, cos i did mess up mine.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I need to learn more about basic network setup.

Current Setup/hardware involved.

Cable TV/Internet, from wall to Modem Netgear CG3000.
Connected to the CG3000:
Main PC
Asus Router/WIFI
Sometimes PS4

Setup on CG3000, No big changes from default apart from WIFI turned off.

Next in line, Asus Router (cant remember model)
This was put in for Wifi mainly, but has since been moved to new location and given new means of network routing. Which is possibly where the issues comes in.

Asus Router, connected to CG3000
Connected to Asus router:
PS4 cabled
TP-Link router (stupid 5 port router)
Runs WIFI.

TP-Router (sits in kitchen)
Has Netgear Nas connected, and from time to time, a pc that i am working with short term.

The problem.

I seem to have varied IP addresses, and im pretty sure it happend when the Asus Router was setup.

As i said, the Asus was put in, only for Wifi purpose, but has since been moved and given new jobs.

My Nas unit is on static IP. I tend to try and keep most my cabled stuff on static IP's, Nas, PS4, PC ect.

Network is basic setup. CG3000 being 192.168.100.1
Nas being 192.168.100.85
PS4 being 192.168.100.95 (well use to be)

The issue came in when i moved the Asus to sit between the CG3000 and most my networked items, the Asus seems to be on a different IP, and I appear unable to reach it via IP from my PC that is cabled to the CG3000.

I can access the asus via Wifi, but not allowed to make the Static IP changes, i think i need to make.

The Asus sits on 192.168.1.1.

Basically what i need to know is, will i screw up anything by changing the Asus router IP to 192.168.100.2 and how do i get into my asus router with my pc, when it says its unable to find the network via the IP?

I am going to be moving within a few months, and redoing the full network setup, but this is fairly important, because the nas losses all access if IP's dont match.

Is that a basic thumb rule is can stick to when setting this stuff up? What are my limits for changing addresses? Could i make it all 180.180.180.1 / 2 / 3? As an example. (to keep hackers guessing?)

TP Link, is plug as play, as far as i know it has not intertace to access. The Asus, i dont know. When you say access point my basic knowledge stops.

Go read about how to put those two devices into Access Point mode.

But why would i need to mess with the TP-Link? It just a 5 port switch. But if i set the Asus into access point mode, then what about the IP it currently has?

But why would i need to mess with the TP-Link? It just a 5 port switch. But if i set the Asus into access point mode, then what about the IP it currently has?

So is the TP-Link equipment a switch or a router? You have called it both and they vary wildly in function.

What do you mean "what about the IP it currently has"?

Make sure that only 1 of the devices is acting as a DHCP server for a given subnet.

When you connect the switch, they usually require that a dedicated port be used for the uplink to the rest of the network. You have to use this port.

You have to connect your cable modem network jack to the "WAN" port on the router. If the cable modem has more than 1 network jack on it, it probably has a router in it as well. My advice would be to make sure that this has a different IP subnet than your main router (you can get it to work on the same subnet...but that makes confusion). For example, on my system:

- Cable modem (has router, 4 port switch, and WiFi)
---> WiFi turned off (it sucked anyway)
---> DHCP server with subnet range of 192.168.2.XXX
---> This DHCP server only gives out an IP address to my main router

- Main Router
---> Cable between 1 of the cable modem switch ports and the WAN Ethernet jack on the router
---> The IP address for the router side facing the Cable Modem is usually 192.168.2.100
---> WiFi turned on
---> DHCP server with subnet range of 192.168.1.100 - 255
---> The IP address of this router is reserved to 192.168.1.1
---> I have multiple devices plugged into the 4-port switch on the back of this

- Main Switch (16-port)
---> Cable between one of the main router ports and port 1 on this switch (required by the switch)
---> DHCP server is off (the router is the DHCP server)
---> Static IP address reserved for this of 192.168.1.2
---> I have many devices plugged into this switch

- Router #2 (configured as access point)
---> This is a WiFi router (similar to the main router above...4 port switch), but I have it configured as an access point
---> Static IP address reserved for this of 192.168.1.3
---> Cable between the Main Switch and port 1 on this router (don't use the WAN port on this router...it's not being used as a router, but an access point)

Click on the "MoCA 2.0" in my sig...post #20 is my network diagram.

Your router should have a "factory reset" button on it...so I wouldn't worry too much about changing the settings on it and messing things up.

Thank you, i guess it makes sense, but im having issues.

This is the setup right now.

Netgear CG3000 Cable Modem, with 4 Lan ports, Wifi disabled.

I cannot find anything about DHCP when logged into it?

The Asus RT-AC87U sits plugged into one of the LAN ports ont he modem, and on the Asus router, its plugged into the WAN port (use to work fine on different IP, but i have reset it now)

Everything is going to be set to default now, for purpose of making this work, then i will redo and change to IP i want.

So, my Modem is currently

CG3000 192.168.0.1 Default.

Router
Asus 192.168.1.1 Default.

My PC is plugged into the Cable modem, and it will be doing all editing from it, as far as possible anyway.

Asus router is NOT able to be found of reached from my PC.

-------------------------------

I found where i need to go on the CG3000, and it is now setup as DHCP server, with my desired IP

Last edited:
- Cable modem (has router, 4 port switch, and WiFi)
---> WiFi turned off (it sucked anyway)
---> DHCP server with subnet range of 192.168.2.XXX
---> This DHCP server only gives out an IP address to my main router

- Main Router
---> Cable between 1 of the cable modem switch ports and the WAN Ethernet jack on the router
---> The IP address for the router side facing the Cable Modem is usually 192.168.2.100
---> WiFi turned on
---> DHCP server with subnet range of 192.168.1.100 - 255
---> The IP address of this router is reserved to 192.168.1.1
---> I have multiple devices plugged into the 4-port switch on the back of this

This confuses me.

On ym CG3000 may options are:

LAN IP Address (fully open to edit) 192. 168.0.1

Subnet Mask (only able to edit last digets) 255.255.255.0 (0 being open for edit)

DHCP Server Yes or No (yes in this case)

Starting IP Address 192.168.0.10 (with only 10 being open to edit)

Ending IP Address 192.168.0.99 (with only 99 being open to edit)

I dont understand how to compare this, to the info you wrote on your modem.

What i want is to have my Netgear sitting on 192.168.0.1 and Asus router on 192.168.0.2 and being able to get ot my asus router from my PC which is cable connected to the Netgear modem.

After much trial and error, it is now working just like i wanted it to! I dont know how i really got there, but i made it, and its working like it should.

Thank you, i guess it makes sense, but im having issues.

This is the setup right now.

Netgear CG3000 Cable Modem, with 4 Lan ports, Wifi disabled.

I cannot find anything about DHCP when logged into it?

The Asus RT-AC87U sits plugged into one of the LAN ports ont he modem, and on the Asus router, its plugged into the WAN port (use to work fine on different IP, but i have reset it now)

Everything is going to be set to default now, for purpose of making this work, then i will redo and change to IP i want.

So, my Modem is currently

CG3000 192.168.0.1 Default.

Router
Asus 192.168.1.1 Default.

My PC is plugged into the Cable modem, and it will be doing all editing from it, as far as possible anyway.

Asus router is NOT able to be found of reached from my PC.

-------------------------------

I found where i need to go on the CG3000, and it is now setup as DHCP server, with my desired IP

Your PC will not be able to "see" anything on the router as it is on a different subnet...the 3rd octet:

- PC IP Address: 192.168.0.XXX
- Other Devices: 192.168.1.YYY

The "0" and "1" are different. If you are using the standard subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (which is the default) the 3rd octet 255 says "only allow matching to my extact only".

Your choices are to put them at the same address for the first 3 octets (192.168.1 for example), or change the subnet mask. If you are new to networking, I strongly recommend not changing the default subnet mask.

Set the cable modem to DHCP server, and turn off the DHCP server on the router.

If you reserve an IP address for the router, make sure you type that address into both the cable modem (acting as the DHCP server) and the router as a "fixed IP address".

:thup:

Back