• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help w/ Audio Dropout on CPU Load (Memory issue!?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmag1k

Registered
Not really sure where to start with this one..... Yesterday I was switching from my SLI mode to single card mode because I can't play the Division in SLI (the SLI profile is garbage apparently, and the game crashes and performs worse than a single card), when I noticed my audio starting to cut out a few seconds under load. After that I did some testing w/ Prime95 and anytime I'm under load audio cuts out for a few seconds at a time. My temps are fine, no alerts on any hardware. Under 100% load my CPU was around 65C.

First thing I did was drop all my overclocks to default and restart.
Second I rolled back to a couple days ago via System Restore
Third I uninstalled my audio drivers (SteeleSeries Siberia Elite Prism as well as the annoying Realtek driver that never seem to go away)
Fourth I uninstalled video drivers and after the restart the system installed an old version on its own, same w/ realtek drivers, and the issue persists.
Fifth I downloaded Malwarebytes to ensure I didn't have a virus. It had some minor adware but no trojans.
Not sure what to do now. I did get a blue screen once of DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_IN_FREED_SPECIAL_POOL(rzudd.sys) which is related to my razer synapse. I don't think thats the issue, as the driver may have just been loading during the crash.

It gets really bad when I run a game or Prime95. Could it be memory going bad? It's pretty old, since 2011. I did also get some USB disconnection alerts, and disconnected my usb drives but still the issue persists. My page file is 12-16GB.

It is, yes. It's a SteeleSeries Siberia Elite Prism Headphones w/ USB Soundcard

It is, yes. It's a SteeleSeries Siberia Elite Prism Headphones w/ USB Soundcard

How does this connect to your system, does it just get the signal from the PC and power from elsewhere?
I can't find a product page for it on the SteelSeries site.

How does this connect to your system, does it just get the signal from the PC and power from elsewhere?
I can't find a product page for it on the SteelSeries site.

It's all powered through USB. There's a little USB soundcard the headphone and mic jacks plug into, and that connects to the USB slot on the PC.

Here's the amazon link I bought them from. http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Elite-Gaming-Headset-Artic/dp/B00MSOEV6U

I guess Steelseries now calls them the 650. https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-650

Try the headset on your onboard audio with the 3.5mm connections instead of going through the USB card.

Try the headset on your onboard audio with the 3.5mm connections instead of going through the USB card.

Yeah... thinking back on that, that's the first thing I should have done. In my gut I don't think that is the issue though, because the system just seemed to be a bit laggy as soon as I switched the from SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel. I'll try it out as soon as I get home though and let you know.

Figured it out... it was an old and aging USB drive causing issues. When I returned home and fired up my PC, I unplugged the USB soundcard and plugged in the 3.5mm as suggested. Sound was fine. Plugged the soundcard in, it was fine. Wait, did the problem just go away!? :screwy:

Right then I noticed my notifications going haywire. My system was RAPIDLY connecting disconnecting a usb device, to the point it sounded like a new Kanye song. I started unplugging all my usb ports till I found my older USB drive and BAM! Issue resolved. I feel so dumb not checking my peripherals first... :eh?:

Back