• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy a GTX 1070 or 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree it's a smaller die and it is more difficult to get the heat out. You also need to consider it's 70W/~25% less to cool. That doesn't outweigh the fact that you are squeezing 7.2B transistors (though less than a 980ti) on a 314mm die(a bit more than half the size of 980ti). That density is what is doing it as you are saying.

Simple solution is to raise the power limit. Reference blower coolers were never good enough really. The aftermarket coolers will solve the problem if you don't want to make those minor tweaks.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, I hope you are correct, I want to have a EVGA air cooler on a GTX 1070 plug and play.:) I love to not have to mess with my Graphic cards over the years, I use to however I hated Remembering the settings when the years come on and something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I know abut profiles there a waste of time for me, so many problems like something goes wrong with software or hardware, also I had to uninstall EVGA PrecisionX to update many times over the years. Also you need to do a clean install of widows because the registry is damaged, clean install like the last fiasco with Nvidia drivers. Something went wrong with PrecisionX 16 last night, lucky restarting my PC fixed it.;)

I have used them for years without issue. Worst case is I have to plug the numbers in again or recreate the curve. 2 minutes of getting it back. Easy breezy.

yea the 1070 looks like a hellva deal vs the 970 and even since its as fast or faster in some games as the 980/980Ti.

dear goodness....a 1070 beats a 970 in every test (at least on the tomshardware reviews). Thats enough for me. Any clue when third party 1070s will be available?

dear goodness....a 1070 beats a 970 in every test (at least on the tomshardware reviews). Thats enough for me. Any clue when third party 1070s will be available?

not just 970, but also 980 and in many cases 980ti

Great. The RX480 announcement has me pumping my brakes a little and rethinking everything. From what it seems, the RX480 will outperform a 970 but not by alot so it wouldn't make sense to upgrade to an RX480 from my current 970. However, that makes me wonder then if an RX490 (whenever that may come) that will likely be at the $300ish pricepoint will outperform a 1070, and if so, if that will be a better upgrade path. Especially considering that with all that information, i imagine secondhand 970 prices will fall like a rock and has me wondering...sell now to maximize what i can get for it? Or wait it out and deal with it?

Competition is great! But just made things confusing for me lol.

Or wait for the 970 prices to drop and pick up another (or two) cheap and go SLI crazy. LOL

The prices wont drop too much. The 770's never really "got cheap". The 670's never really "got cheap". Nvidia holds their prices to the bitter end.

Back