• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disaster!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
So my PSU took out my MB while committing suicide! Can not get a new z87 like that one so I am going z97 hoping to get my stuff back in line, in short order.

Long story short, I opened up the original PSU and found noting noticeably wrong with it! So I tested it with a tester and jumping it and nothing. Well then, OH crap it is still under warranty! though it was three but it was five. There is 160 bucks down the drain. So I went deep and debugged it, yes I found a couple of mosquitoes, checked every cap and all connections... Well it works now! It will be retired so this never happens again!

I replaced the 750 with an 850! Funny thing is I really only needed a 600.

:cry:

just wait till you have one set the house on fire.
I got lucky, it was an insurable loss, total, 60,000 for a cheapy psu.

So my PSU took out my MB while committing suicide! Can not get a new z87 like that one so I am going z97 hoping to get my stuff back in line, in short order.

Long story short, I opened up the original PSU and found noting noticeably wrong with it! So I tested it with a tester and jumping it and nothing. Well then, OH crap it is still under warranty! though it was three but it was five. There is 160 bucks down the drain. So I went deep and debugged it, yes I found a couple of mosquitoes, checked every cap and all connections... Well it works now! It will be retired so this never happens again!

I replaced the 750 with an 850! Funny thing is I really only needed a 600.

:cry:

Was it a good PSU brand? If it was, sounds like maybe a bad neutral connection from your outlet to your utility transformer. (Of course, I'm talking about one worse than the current place I'm in) If it gets detached or real loose, you can expect some light bulbs to be killed and some outlets to be overvolted, such as 160 V. You also can expect a major fire to occur. 240 V if completely detached!

A poor neutral connection in your house may be less obvious and simply cause random spikes, which is what possibly occurred...

Do you get see-saw voltages in your house? Such as with the vacuum cleaner on, the branch with the vacuum drops possibly as low as 113 V and some outlets become 130 V with a major appliance on?

Last edited:
Damn... sorry that happened...what PSU was it?

(and why is this in GD??? Moved to PSU section)

Oh it was a tT, Not cheap and bronze certified. After I discharged everything (some into my BODY and that will not happen again), cleaned it up, worked every connection, checked everything and reassembled it tested fine and ran components. The MB was the issue that caused the PSU to dump.

I am RMAing the board.

Back