• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evo 850 Excessive Write Usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I have had an Evo 850 500GB drive for only a few months and the software is already reporting 1.27 TB of data written. This is a bit confusing as I havent downloaded anywhere even remotely close to that much data. I've maybe downloaded 300 GB of bandwidth (upload and download combined) across all applications on my computer. For reference, in the entire year of 2015 I saw 700 GB of bandwidth across my router port (again, download and upload combined), which included three computers, two phones and an Internet TV with Netflix. I have 265 GB free of 465 GB on the SSD.

I dont download insane amounts of video, steam Netflix, or install game after game. Yes, I have a few high profile games that take up 50GB, but only a few of them. I have maybe six AAA games installed, 3 of which might take up 50GB or more. I do use sleep mode often, but I dont use hibernate, so no data written there. I dont copy large files often or move many large files between drives often.

So where is all this write usage coming from? The only think of that would possibly cause that much write usage would be the pagefile, but I have 8GB of RAM so the pagefile shouldent be used that often anyway. I have my SSD pagefile set to 200 MB/ 1024MB. I have my secondary HD pagefile set to system managed. I checked the resource monitor when gaming and I am not out of memory.

I have 2x850 evo, bought them august last year : System 3.91tb and Games 4.92tb. Don't have anything running on the background as i disabled all indexing and defrag, and AV and MWB only run when i tell them to, so System use is from Windows installs and programs and Games is... well games :rofl:

Don't know if its normal but usage has been very high from the beginning, take from that what you will ;)

I have had an Evo 850 500GB drive for only a few months and the software is already reporting 1.27 TB of data written. This is a bit confusing as I havent downloaded anywhere even remotely close to that much data. I've maybe downloaded 300 GB of bandwidth (upload and download combined) across all applications on my computer. For reference, in the entire year of 2015 I saw 700 GB of bandwidth across my router port (again, download and upload combined), which included three computers, two phones and an Internet TV with Netflix. I have 265 GB free of 465 GB on the SSD.

I dont download insane amounts of video, steam Netflix, or install game after game. Yes, I have a few high profile games that take up 50GB, but only a few of them. I have maybe six AAA games installed, 3 of which might take up 50GB or more. I do use sleep mode often, but I dont use hibernate, so no data written there. I dont copy large files often or move many large files between drives often. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...dows-10-constant-low-HDD-use-(not-heartbeat-)

So where is all this write usage coming from? The only think of that would possibly cause that much write usage would be the pagefile, but I have 8GB of RAM so the pagefile shouldent be used that often anyway. I have my SSD pagefile set to 200 MB/ 1024MB. I have my secondary HD pagefile set to system managed. I checked the resource monitor when gaming and I am not out of memory.
Why do you have two page files? Just set one on the SSD and leave it be. There isn't a point to have two.

That aside, Have you checked with task manager open to see disk use? Then sort by what is being used the most? I had a problem with my 950 where it was writing nearly constantly. Turns out it was my Webcam doing the writing. Once I got rid of that software, I just had the normal 'heartbeat. SEe my thread here:

Why do you have two page files? Just set one on the SSD and leave it be. There isn't a point to have two.

That aside, Have you checked with task manager open to see disk use? Then sort by what is being used the most? I had a problem with my 950 where it was writing nearly constantly. Turns out it was my Webcam doing the writing. Once I got rid of that software, I just had the normal 'heartbeat. SEe my thread here:

Because for some reason when I play Phantom Pain, the game reserves an insane amount of memory, something like 10 GB. It doesent actually use more than 3GB, but it reserves a crazy amount. If I set my pagefile low, it will crash the game and give a low memory error. Accordingly, I dident want to create a ton of writes to my SSD by reserving 6GB on the SSD every time I played the game, so I set the largest chunk of the pagefile to a mechanical HDD and a smaller portion to the SSD.

I checked taskmanager and I dident see anything. The drive seems mostly idle with small random writes. Anyway, I guess it doesent matter much in the end. The SSD has a warranty of 150 TB of writes and I only clocked about 1.3TB in three months. So that's 576 months before I hit 250TB.

My suggestion is to make one bigger PF on the SSD. The excessive writes issue with SSDs have been over for at least a couple of generations/years. Google 'SSD endurance test' and look at those articles. ;)

"With twice the endurance of a typical NAND flash SSD, the 850 EVO will keep working as long as you do. The 850 EVO guarantees a 5 year limited warranty or 75TBW for 120GB and 250GB, 150TBW for 500GB and 1TB"

http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...nt/Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_Data_Sheet_rev_1_0.pdf

Usage seems about right as you always have something going on in the background including big pagefile, games constantly read/write, install-uninstall, documents, browsing. I would top off ED suggestion with turning off Windows search/indexing if you haven't done it already and check your services to see if any programs aren't "calling home" on a regular basis.

Might seem high but after seeing 128GB drives go into the Peta range before failing. Also as you mentioned 576 months, yeah I think you'll probably have a new drive well within 48 years.

I know with my rig, its right around the 4-6TB range per year on the SSD's for writes. No worries for me.

Back