• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Lexar 64GB JumpDrive P20 USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today's review sample, straight from Lexar, is the next in my saga of super fast flash drive reviews. This bad boy, the 64GB P20, runs at USB 3.0 and is touted to be "Among the fastest USB flash drives available..." so you'd better bet I'll put their claim to the test! Here goes nothing, boys and girls.

Click here to view the article.

Thanks for including the Sandisk Extreme in the comparison. I bought the 64GB version several years ago and it seems like it remains a strong contender.

One thing I will add is that I have done some comparisons amongst USB drives and microSD cards in the range of 64GB and smaller for the purpose of choosing storage for a Raspberry Pi and have found that some drives exhibit a marked drop in speed between the 6$GB and smaller models. I wonder if the Sandisk Extreme is like that. If so, the 64GB Sandisk extreme might compare even better.

The read speeds are the same across all models of the Extreme, but the write speed goes up as capacity does.

It is definitely a solid drive, but a different type of fast from what I've been receiving for review. This Lexar is the closest thing I've seen to the Extreme, all the others looked a lot better on paper than they were in realistic usage.

I'm not sure why your ATTO results are so low. I had no issues with that when I was reviewing P20 about a year ago:

Lexar_JumpDrive_P20_res1.jpg

That was on ASRock Z97 OCF.

Since I'm using Jumpdrive P10 and P20 which look about the same, I will only add that they're really solid. I'm using both almost everyday - P10 for nearly 2 years while P20 for about a year.

Last edited:
Woomack, make sure all your settings match mine. Can you try again and post back?

Here is result made on ASUS GL552VW laptop ( on battery ). My P20 has nearly a year and is ~85% full but still can reach 300MB/s read in queue depth 4 and 275MB/s in 10:

atto.jpg

On desktop boards with Z170 chipset should be better results. At least on Z170 OCF I have up to 50MB/s higher max bandwidth on various USB storage devices than on this laptop.

Huh, I'm not sure what the deficit is there, but it's definitely consistent across all testing.
I'm on the USB 3.1 port, as stated in the review, I wonder if the native 3.0 port is faster.

All Intel ports are using the same driver and should perform better than any non-Intel controllers.
I'm not sure why only in ATTO are worse results as in other benchmarks are about as high as it should be.

Back