• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After a hiatus, I am back in the fold.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wjruth

I haven't folded in a few years, it seems life got in the way. When I last folded, my rig was an AMD x2 240 with a GT240 GPU. It lasted about 2 years before it started to need parts as things went south. It sat for awhile and F@H marched on. So after dusting it off and throwing a new power supply into it, I limped it along until a few months ago. I updated to Windows 10 and quickly it grew unstable and temperamental.

Time for an upgrade.

I don't game much and this is a backup rig so I went frugal.
Specs:
MSI H110M-ProD board
Intel i3-6100 @3.7mhz
Gammaxx 400 cooler
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133, 4g x2 (8g)
MSI GTX950 with 6 pin power
Corsair CX430 power supply
850 EVO 250g SSD

I reused an optical drive and case along with a 500g WD hard drive that I'm storing photos and such on.

Folding on both CPU and GPU it netting me temps of: CPU=45°C, GPU= 62°C
PPD is too early to tell, but it has turned in 90K in the last 24hrs.

I may not be a top point getter, but at least I'm contributing again.

By tomorrow, I should be in the top 300 for the team. I'm waiting to see where my PPD level off at. Baby steps.

We are happy to have you with us. This is a great team and I think that you will find it fun.

Looking at your stats, you're moving fairly well. Moved 5 spots today and 14 in the last week. You're probably going to average about 95k - 120k ppd. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
By tomorrow, I should be in the top 300 for the team. I'm waiting to see where my PPD level off at. Baby steps.

Use "client-type advanced" and "max-packet-size big" for your GPU, that should get you a few more points for GPU folding. :thup:

You're doing well. #301 as of this moment and lots of team mates in your "conquest" list. Moved up 0ne spot in the last 24 hours and 15 spots in the last 7 days. All are good stats. Looks like you're gonna level out around 55k ppd which will advance you fairly well through the 200's on the team stats. Heck, your going to reach your next milestone of 4 million points in just over two days! You're definitely on the move. Good job.

Like the river, it's not about brute force but perseverance to create a canyon.

I seem to have 3 WU's one day, 2 the next. Each WU is netting 60,000. In the last 24hrs, my rig pulled in 131,359 points. FAHcontrol seems to indicate I will pull 120,000 ppd. I need to add the flags and see what that pulls in.
Thanks for the support guys!

Check out my application "Newest Creation Work in Progress Thread"...it will give you more history on your work units!

:thup:

I downloaded it and now have that running. I assume the longer it runs the more info it collects.

Also, anyone have any issues with HWmonitor? It is showing my GPU at 540mhz when Afterburner is showing 1405mhz. I thought there was some issue, but GPU-Z is also reading the higher clock speed.

So folding is addictive...seeing the points some of you are putting up makes me want to expand my current setup. I think I want to set a personal goal of getting to top 100 for the team by January 1st. Now to make a plan on how to get there.

If you can afford the power, a 2nd hand 970/980/980ti will put you at 270k,350k,500k PPD respectively in Linux, more if you push the overclocks - I don't so that's what I see on my 970 & 980ti - the vanilla 980 number is a guestimate

Back