• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memorial Day rebate motherload at Discount Tire Direct

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/

Example: I got $250 (!) off worth of discounts for these:

Price.png

By the way, that's extra $10 web special per tire, so $40 off on top of three rebates.

Installation is $16 per tire if you have a www.discounttire.com location (that web site is for locations not for ordering) but order online from http://www.discounttiredirect.com/ and ship to store to save on tax.
Go to Walmart if you have no dicount tire stores in your location. They have cheaper tire mounting fees than most other locations.

Possibly useful Consumer Reports ratings:

CR2015-11a.png

CR2015-11b.png

The biggest change for me is not to trust tread-ware ratings after my 100,000 Hankook mile tires could not even last 40,000 miles so I switched to Good Year this time.
A tire installer told me that he doesn't know why Hankook rated their "100,000 mile" tires like that because the model that Hankook itself has that is rated lower, routinely outlasts their so-called "100,000 mile" tires. I never expected my Hankooks to last 100,000 miles (of course) but I *did* expect them to last more than 40,000 miles... Learned the hard way, hopefully you won't have to...

P.S. It's totally worth it to take out the Discount Tire card (it's not really a credit card, it's a store card) - they *always* have the $60 off specials with their card as method of payment... All family members can profit from that each time they need tires replaced.. ;).

Last edited:
TripleTred are awesome and if they were available for my vehicle I'd get them in a heart beat. They're a little noisy, but the advantage in low roll/solid sidewalls and traction is well worth it. We've been using them for years on our second vehicles (all various model AWD Subarus, and with the TripleTred the vehicles are invincible in the snow). We've seen 60k+ out of ours before thinking about replacing.

Last edited:
but are you really saving money? did you compare to other etailers? i looked the tires for my jeep up on there and they are $45 more each on there than other places, and a person wouldn't have to wait around for rebates in the mail.

edit: oh i see the discounts now, so you have to sign up for a credit card to get one of the discounts?
wonder how long it takes for them to send the pre-paid visa's in the mail.
also wonder if the credit card reports to your credit report as i try to avoid credit cards all together, i have two and only use them for the rewards they give and pay them off asap.

If you've never done rebates before, standard procedure is to make scans of everything you send or screen shots of everything you send. Rebates are not for everyone. They take a few weeks, 6 weeks or thereabouts, they may involve resubmission etc. - most definitely not for everyone, this is for people who do rebates all the time.

For the example in screen shot, $50 and $100 rebates are for everyone and $10 per tire discount is for everyone but the extra $60 off is only if you pay with the store card.

I paid off the card in full immediately.
All department store charge cards and credit cards you have are listed on your credit report - absolutely yes.
If you pay them off, they tend to increase your credit score in most cases, not decrease it.

The price for tires in screen shot for me was $66.13 per tire plus zero tax + zero shipping. There are were tires on there that were half way decent for $45 after rebates.

I will have to pay to mount them. Probably twenty bucks+ per tire out of pocket. Will let you know when I pay.

but are you really saving money? did you compare to other etailers? i looked the tires for my jeep up on there and they are $45 more each on there than other places, and a person wouldn't have to wait around for rebates in the mail.

Yeah, but does that other place give you free tire rotation forever and free replacement if you have a blowout? My family has taken advantage of DTC's warranty more than once, and it's a really nice thing to have :) That they often give you credit for your old tires if they've still got some miles left on them doesn't hurt, either.

Yeah, but does that other place give you free tire rotation forever and free replacement if you have a blowout? My family has taken advantage of DTC's warranty more than once, and it's a really nice thing to have :) That they often give you credit for your old tires if they've still got some miles left on them doesn't hurt, either.

idk, probably not but i just have them rotated when i get the oil changed costs an extra $10.
the credit for used tires would be nice is it comparable to what you can get from listing them on craigslist?

after some quick math that is definitely a good deal for car tires! after some searching around their prices without rebates are similar to other etailers on normal street tires for sure. great find! i did notice alot of etailers have the same $100 rebate must be something the tire companies have going on! good find c6!

after some quick math that is definitely a good deal for car tires!

This ↑.
Loved your use of the word 'math'.

If there is a better deal elsewhere, people should post where so we can all go there instead... :)

I just did some comparisons and for the tires I could put on my vehicle. Dscount Tires were very competitive, and that's *before* considering the rebate and $60 discount if you have their card.

Couldn't find any tires with the $10 web offer, so that may have expired.

Yup, I would consider Consumer Reports or other source you trust charts as far as choice goes first and foremost and then any discounts.
But I just got mine mounted so for the example screen shot from post #1:

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred 205 65 R15

$128.63 x 4 = $514.52 with free shipping

- $47.42 [no tax actual effective savings for me]
- $40 [$10 x 4 immediate online order discount this model had]
- $50 Good year Rebate
- $100 Discount Tire Direct Rebate
- $60 Discount Tire Charge card discount [this particular one is only if you pay using their charge card, I resisted applying for years before I realized I was losing $60 EACH TIME anyone in the family needed new tires]

============================

$297.42 savings for me

so $514.52 out of pocket now - $297.42 discounts = $217.1 or $54.28 per tire when compared to buying them elsewhere, My local Good Year store sells them for $133.24 after tax. They also have the original $50 Good Year rebate but no other rebates.

So now that's not completely accurate because there is the question of mounting.
I DO have a DiscountTire store where I live so even though they are a separate entity, you CAN ship DiscountTireDirect orders to the DiscountTire store, that way you don't have to pay tax and you don't have to have a problem hauling tires around! And no you can't just order and go, you have to actually wait for your order to arrive to the store by UPS.
They cannot give you store tires and just swap them out later when UPS truck delivers them.
I ordered on Monday and they arrived Wed morning, I went in and finished the job around noon, Wed, today. :)

I just returned and instead of charging me $16 per tire for mounting they charged me $16 per tire for a LIFETIME CERTIFICATE guaranteeing lifetime Refund or Replacement...
Guess what, the certificate price INCLUDES MOUNTING.

So I effectively paid 4 x $16 = $64 plus $5.90 tax = $69.90 for mounting four tires WITH lifetime refund/replacement certificates.

So that amount needs to be added to the price of tires.
If I did not have their store front, I would go to Walmart but I couldn't ship the tires to Walmart.

Last edited:
I DO have a DiscountTire store where I live so even though they are a separate entity, you CAN ship DiscountTireDirect orders to the DiscountTire store

They're the same company ("The Reinalt-Thomas Corporation"); just seems they're operating the warehouse sales portion separately from the store sales for some reason.

I would assume that 'some reason' would be so that they can compete with online retailers and still have a local store front.

If they were 100% the same company, they would have to charge you tax for tires they ship to a state where there is a store front, like my state, so this way they are more competitive by about fifty bucks and they still have a store front just like every other store in town...

I would assume that 'some reason' would be so that they can compete with online retailers and still have a local store front.

If they were 100% the same company, they would have to charge you tax for tires they ship to a state where there is a store front, like my state, so this way they are more competitive by about fifty bucks and they still have a store front just like every other store in town...

I'd much rather pay the taxes and have them pay their taxes in turn, because the places that aren't charging tax generally are avoiding other taxes, too. Their main site (without the direct) sells all the same stuff for the same prices, just with the tax that you're filing yourself, right? :)

Last edited:
I do believe that there are laws on the books in many states about paying taxes for your online purchases, they may not be strictly enforced but you can do that for this and your other online purchases at tax time... Indeed you may be obliged to if you check your state's regulations... But this is no different than buying computer parts online - I admire you for never shopping at newegg and buying your computer parts at your corner computer store if you do that... Certainly this is not for everyone because of rebates involved and also because there are people who object to not paying taxes.

Back