• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
>> How much are you going to program yourself? <<
Everything. I know you can download bootloaders and the sort, but I'm making everything. In fact, I'm currently programming Pride's bootloader.

Thanks for the support, fellas! :D

Last edited:
I had the same idea when I was doing my BS. It's easy to do if you are using off the shelf compnents. But to write an os in ASM in under a year? On your own? You can prob manage the file system in 6800 in a year. I did alot of ASM on the old ArcNet / OS9 mainframes of way back, Motorola 6800 chips rock.

This project sounds very interesting. As long as your not writing it for the 8086 chips, I have 'nough respect.

>> an os in ASM in under a year? <<

Never said under a year. It'll take how ever long it'll take. No time limit.

>> As long as your not writing it for the 8086 chips <<

Why? Explain yourself...

>> As long as your not writing it for the 8086 chips <<

Why? Explain yourself...

I think he's referring to the relative complexity of x86 asm compared to other archs.

Btw, Garfield, I've seen Vovan express interest in making his own OS, maybe you should try and hook up with him.

>> is assembly what windows an linux were programmed with or dos? <<

Yes, they were programmed with assembly and C. That is usually the mix of languages for OS dev. I'm just going to use assembly though.

>> I've seen Vovan express interest in making his own OS <<

I'll definitely look him up and we'll talk! Thanks!

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot. This link to this programming forum called Flashdaddee is http://64.91.238.78/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=30 here and there is a sticky at the top of the board with sources for learning. I, Garfield, happen to be the moderator of the board ;). Anyway, feel free to register and ask as many questions as you need when you start learning assembly. Good luck!

So he's 15? I'm 14.5 and already profficient in VB6, html,css,javascript, and a lil php. I'm going to start learning cgi this week and C++ this summer.

Hey, I'll be glad to make some programs for it, maybe some utilities? It would be awsome if you could make it with an emulator for windows programs(probably very, no extremely difficult to do) then I would plobably always use it.
Hope it comes out great, I'll also help out w/ beta testing.

BTW, an idea, For simplicity, could you make a programming language for it that doesnt have to have a compiler but is still powerfull or is that stupid? It would be nice to be able to go into a text editor and be able to fix any bugs in programs.

What exactly is Assembly?

EDIT:
oh yeah, about two or three years ago a friend and I started to build an OS using DOS(I guess its really wasn't an OS then). I finished the password script which was encrypted, made a dual boot manager(one partition held windows and our OS "Pathways") , made the calculations for 3D images in it, and started on the desktop but stopped cause I got bored, heheh. Lost all of it on a few bad floppies :(.

Last edited:
Are you the only one working on Pride? I looked through the forums (thanks for the link, BTW) and ASMcat seems to be doing something similar.

Drunkmonkey, check Garfield's guide.

Last edited:
IdeaMagnate said:
Are you the only one working on Pride? I looked through the forums (thanks for the link, BTW) and ASMcat seems to be doing something similar.

Yeah, can some of us help out with the actual OS? I'll go get a book about C tomorrow and get crackin. I really wanna help out, this is very cool.

>> Are you the only one working on Pride? I looked through the forums (thanks for the link, BTW) and ASMcat seems to be doing something similar. <<

Yes, ASMcat and I are working on it together. We're dually contributing code and we're working on the bootloader right now. I haven't given him previous credit because he's not registered here are OCers.com. But, yes, we're working together. I don't know how much faster it'll make the project (being an operating system and all), but working with him will fasten Pride up. We agreed we're in no hurry :D...

>> Yeah, can some of us help out with the actual OS? <<

Well, I was only going to do this alone, and then ASMcat PMed me (at flashdaddee) and said he was looking to do an operating system and he wanted to do it with me. We agreed to do it in all Assembly (which is a low-level language -- lowest possible to write in, of course, next to hex :D), so we're not going to incorporate C...yet. I think we might be better off if we do, I'll give him a talk.

Well, the bootloader is what loads the kernel. The bootloader is and has to be in the boot sector (or the first 512 bytes) of the hard disk for BIOS to recognize it as a valid bootloader. Anyway, when BIOS recognizes this (and there are certain lines of code to "tell" BIOS this) it then gives control to your bootloader. I previously said the bootloader loads the kernel, and that it does. But, it also "prepares" for the kernel. Things that the bootloader does to prepare for the kernel would be opening the A20 gate (which allows use of more than 1meg of memory), chooses the file system, and a couple of other things. Then, when everything is ready, it calls the kernel and loads it. Like I said, the bootloader can only be 512 bytes to fit in the bootsector, so you can if necessary call an "inbetween" setup for the kernel called the bootstrapper. Then, that in turn would load the kernel if the bootloader hadn't.

Understand?

Garfield said:
Well, the bootloader is what loads the kernel. The bootloader is and has to be in the boot sector (or the first 512 bytes) of the hard disk for BIOS to recognize it as a valid bootloader. Anyway, when BIOS recognizes this (and there are certain lines of code to "tell" BIOS this) it then gives control to your bootloader. I previously said the bootloader loads the kernel, and that it does. But, it also "prepares" for the kernel. Things that the bootloader does to prepare for the kernel would be opening the A20 gate (which allows use of more than 1meg of memory), chooses the file system, and a couple of other things. Then, when everything is ready, it calls the kernel and loads it. Like I said, the bootloader can only be 512 bytes to fit in the bootsector, so you can if necessary call an "inbetween" setup for the kernel called the bootstrapper. Then, that in turn would load the kernel if the bootloader hadn't.

Understand?

ahhh, I went through all that crap when making a triple boot for Dos, windows, and linux. It took me 2 hours to shift my entire 20gb windows partition over 50mbs for the d*** dos fat16 partition so it would boot properly.
I question, does the boot sector, where your bootloader is, reside in or out of you regular hard drive partitions?

Garfield said:

>> Yeah, can some of us help out with the actual OS? <<

Well, I was only going to do this alone, and then ASMcat PMed me (at flashdaddee) and said he was looking to do an operating system and he wanted to do it with me. We agreed to do it in all Assembly (which is a low-level language -- lowest possible to write in, of course, next to hex :D), so we're not going to incorporate C...yet. I think we might be better off if we do, I'll give him a talk.

I understand, can't wait for the first version, are you done yet?

how about now?......

now?.....

Edit:
>>There is a boot sector in the beginning (512 bytes) of every partition and drive.<<

oh, i was thinknig of it as a dual booter, oh I get it now.
if there are any parts of code or crap like that you need to test I'll devote 5 gigs to it for testing.

well is it hard to program a bootloader? i am very interested with assembly programming but i am having trouble understanding the binary system. i know its ons an offs( 1 an 0) but i dont undertsand the equations. any help?

omg, I actually understand how to add/subtract binary numbers(for any n00bs, the ones and zeros). That is so freaky, that assembly manual you(garfield) linked to is awsome! on to hexidecimal!

Just one question, why Assembly?
This means that you have to program for the lowest machine it will run on. HLLs like C and C++ can be compiled with optimisations for 386, 486, P5, PII, P4, Athlon etc, all from one set of code? It would also be a lot easier- a major consideration ;)

Will I be able to make C programs for Pride or will everything have to be assembly? I know a little bit of C++ and quite a bit of C. I am also fluent in COMAL, not that that is any use :D

For the GUI, when that comes, are you going to start from scratch? Will you use an open source project like Xfree86?

I'll check out the forums, I'd like to get into Assembly coding, sounds fun :D

Back