• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
iggybaseball said:
where can i get basic tutorials on basic? in case u missed me asking.

BASIC is very basic. Clear Screen - CLS, Display data - PRINT "data" etc.

I'll have a look on the net for you.

>> where can i get basic tutorials on basic? in case u missed me asking. <<

I thought he mean the basics of assembly, but I could be wrong.

>> Will I be able to make C programs for Pride or will everything have to be assembly? <<

I will definitely incorporate C (not sure how yet, I think I'll have to write my own compiler) and Assembly won't be necessary for the programs of Pride.

>> are you going to start from scratch? <<

Yup, and hopefully I'll stray away from Windows looking GUI. I'll try to think of my own ;)

>> I'll check out the forums, I'd like to get into Assembly coding, <<

Yeah, bud. Assembly is really rewarding. When you do something so low level and you command the computer what to do with not much else under the hood, it's pretty neat and interesting. Good luck and I'll see you at Flashdaddee :D!

iggybaseball said:
well is it hard to program a bootloader? i am very interested with assembly programming but i am having trouble understanding the binary system. i know its ons an offs( 1 an 0) but i dont undertsand the equations. any help?

Yeah, binary can be confusing (despite the lack of numbers). We're not used to counting an thinking like that (same with hex, that's pretty confusing), but once you click it is pretty simple and it'll happen. Assembly is the way to go!!! :D

If you want i can make you some good programs in Java, or if you prefer i can do it in C++. First think of how to implement the backend of the OS and then design the GUI. Give us a call when you're finished and we'll make some fine programs :D.

no i meant basic tutorials on on asm. i was lookin for tutorials but there are not that many, i have found some though. i think i understand the hex , dec, an binary numbers. can someone give me the code for a basic program using these features as a demo for me? also can u program a program that encrypts text with asm?

I guess there is nothing wrong with writing 8086 asm. For me it is just such big and complicated chip. Virtual Addressing, Protected mode. Ton's of registers and not t mention commands. I guess I am just old school these days. The 6800 chip is lean and mean. I think the commodore Amiga, and the Apple Mac are the only machines that used these chips. After doom was released, everything went 80386 mad.

If I where you, I would write the thing in C. Unix, windows, MacOs. Infract screw it. I would say that pretty much every os is wrote in C or C++. Just write the scheduling algorithms in asm. I assume you will be using round robin. It's a good alternative between high and low level. Have you considered writing in C#? It's the hot new language of tomorrow.....today! (i have been told).

I've been reading the assembly pdf i found through one of garfield's links and that stuff is complicated, I guess I'll stick with high-end programming, but I learned how binary numbers and equations work so I'm happy(When i was 12 I was designing a processor that could comprehend/add/subtract numbers 0-21 w/ a hexidecimal sort of input, do very simple coommands such as beep, etc. It used a hard drive that was actually a tape driven w/ a motor and each color combination on the strip represented a number or command. I got so p**** off because I developed the circuit for calculating the numbers but I couldn't think of the way for the processor to interpret the numbers like they do now, cause you cant just hook up random numbers to ones and zeros.)

Edit: forgot to ask, what would I do to make a program in C++ that can be booted to on it's own partition and just say something like "Hello I booted w/o dos or windows!". I understand I need to put the partition at the beginning of the HD but how do I locate the program to the first 152K(right number?)???. I'm a newbie at C++ and i'm still taking tutorials, but I'm a fast learner once i get the theories right.

Have you considered writing in C#? It's the hot new language of tomorrow.....today! (i have been told).

I don't think he'd be able to write the low-level parts of Pride in C# because C# needs to be run in a .Net CLI. I'm not quite sure how C# feels about pointers either, I believe I remember reading about it keeping pointers.

kevmarks said:
I guess there is nothing wrong with writing 8086 asm. For me it is just such big and complicated chip. Virtual Addressing, Protected mode. Ton's of registers and not t mention commands. I guess I am just old school these days. The 6800 chip is lean and mean. I think the commodore Amiga, and the Apple Mac are the only machines that used these chips. After doom was released, everything went 80386 mad.

If I where you, I would write the thing in C. Unix, windows, MacOs. Infract screw it. I would say that pretty much every os is wrote in C or C++. Just write the scheduling algorithms in asm. I assume you will be using round robin. It's a good alternative between high and low level. Have you considered writing in C#? It's the hot new language of tomorrow.....today! (i have been told).

The m68k chips were RISC - lots less instructions. CISC CPUs will be more difficult to program ASM for.

would it be possible to program a simple os with c++ than assembly? if so which one would be easier. i want to look into building an os but which language would be easier. I know neither c++ or assembly but asm is ort of hard. if c++ would be harder i'll just stick with asm. any advice?

iggybaseball said:
would it be possible to program a simple os with c++ than assembly? if so which one would be easier. i want to look into building an os but which language would be easier. I know neither c++ or assembly but asm is ort of hard. if c++ would be harder i'll just stick with asm. any advice?

C

C will be easier and more portable to other systems. And probably a lot easier to learn. HLA looks quite easy though:

C
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main (void)
{
 printf("Hello World")
}

HLA
Code:
Program Hello;
#include ( "stdlib.hhf" );
Begin Hello;

stdout.put ( "Hello World", nl);

End Hello'

drunkmonkey said:
how could I make it so a C program is bootable?

I think you will need a short piece of assemblt code in the MBR to tell the computer to start a kernel (programmed in C if you want).

iggybaseball said:
so i can program an os with c or hla? whats hla? sorry with the newbie questions, i only know vb an i know i wouldnt be able to program an os with vb

HLA is High Level Assembly. Check out http://webster.cs.ucr.edu for more info. I have just started giving it a shot.

I'm taking a stab at it too, but the 1500:eek: page textbook is just a little intimidating. Not even my real textbooks are that big.

i looked into a couple of c tutorials an i really like it. it uses some of the same ideas as vb which i know, more than asm. about how much of the os could be programmed with c?

Back