• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of the os could be in C, except for some asm glue to get it to boot and do other obscure things.

Most of Linux and other Unixes are written in C.

C and Assembly are the two greatest languages (IMO). They are the two lowest-level languages and they can do most anything.

will ur os run programs like folding @ home an i know u said u dont think it would have a gui at first. how hard would that be an what language would u use for that?

I really don't have much knowledge about folding. Is it a program? I'm sure I'll be able to implement it. I can guarantee that I'm going to be bias to overclockers' opionions and wants/needs. Maybe even some program right inside Pride to overclock and monitor temps. Wow! I'm thinking way too ahead! :D

no i am sure some people will want folding, i am just using it as an example. the example is meant to find out if the os will run .exe programs like a game u can download off the internet.

iggybaseball said:
no i am sure some people will want folding, i am just using it as an example. the example is meant to find out if the os will run .exe programs like a game u can download off the internet.
It probably won't have win32 compatability, and I think thats better for it. Of course how many of those programs would work without a gui.

You'd either have to convince the f@h people to port their client, or come up with some sort of binary compatibility runtime thing so you can execute one of their ports to another platform.

It would be awsome if Pride could support Java for the cross platform compatibility.

Does anyone have of a link to a page w/ easy instuctions to building an assembly program that boots to a simple C++ program.

Slow down, people!
The OS isn't even written and you're already asking about folding on it and what not. As far as I'm concerned, it'll be a great success if it works at all, and if it's not buggy, then :bday::clap::bday:. If I'm misjudging the complexity of building on OS from scratch, feel free to correct me.
Consider that right now the development team consists of two guys writing an entire OS from scratch. (If they want help, they can ask for it.) I give them my full moral support, but I don't expect to see anything for a long time, and I don't expect to see anything useful for a very long time. A great way to kill this would be to hand Garfield and ASMCat unachievable expectations, forgetting that they're only human and have lives to run.
Let's go one step at a time. Looking for a folding client is great, but let's wait until Garfield or ASMCat decide to write a compiler (if ever). Until then, you can use the Windows folding client, or if you like alternative OSs, the Linux client. It's great that you all are so eager to see something come of this, but if it does happen (which I believe it may), it won't happen soon.
Best of luck to you two.

>> Slow down, people! <<
My thoughts exactly :D.

IdeaMagnate is totally right. A useful Pride version might be some time for release. Then, when we feel we're ready I'll start taking suggestions that would make it better. For now, we're going to have to do a lot of hard-coding to get the kernel up and running, besides making it useful to computer-users.

>> If I'm misjudging the complexity of building on OS from scratch, feel free to correct me. <<
Don't worry, you're not :)

I'm really looking forward to (well, since it's started, I'm really enjoying) programming Pride and your suggestions are really important to us, but we have a lot to work out and get going before we incorporate the stuff you are talking about. But don't forget those ideas! :D

Alright, we decided that via e-mail, we will give certain people updates on the long journey of programming Pride. If you would like to receive an occasional e-mail, then PM me (or post it, if you wish) your e-mail address and that you want to receive progress updates on Pride. If you do, then you'll get just that...an update :D

Yeah, you guys would have explanations and code. We've decided that the first version would probably be open source. Then we'll see how we can go from there. Thanks for your interest! Expect an e-mail soon. Thanks! :D

LOL! BTW, drunkmonkey, did you get my e-mail? How about you other overclockers on the Pride Updates mailing list? Did you get them?

Garfield said:
LOL! BTW, drunkmonkey, did you get my e-mail? How about you other overclockers on the Pride Updates mailing list? Did you get them?

Yeah, I'm at school right now so can't reply, about the webpage, I don't have any good graphics but I'll look, gotta go, class is starting.

Back