• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You should consider making a realtime OS and make millions off of it.

Making millions off a realtime OS shouldn't be much simpler than making millions off a non-realtime OS. You're just selling them to different people with different needs.

An OS that makes an attempt to guarantee a certain minimum latency for operations. Low latencies. For example, something important like a respirator or the autopilot system in an airplane can't be held up thinking about some other task when it needs to service its main task every so often.

WindowsCE is considered by some people to do a pretty good job at being a RTOS, the WindowsNT-line offers realtime priorities for threads, but from what I understand, those can't really be used for anything serious. There are low latency and real time patches for the Linux kernel. QNX seems to be a rather popular RTOS, and they even have a sort-of-free version that you can run on your desktop computer.

I'm not an expert, but it seems to involve design tradeoffs in the kernel, specifically in the scheduler, and how finely locked you make the kernel so other processes can execute. One tradeoff of being an RTOS is that you in turn cut down on the effective bandwidth your system can push. So running an RTOS is usually not desirable for a server.

Okay, I understand. How would a real-time OS be more useful for users like us? I think XWRed1 is right, the audience that I'm programming this OS for it is not necessary to have this real-time OS. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

How would a real-time OS be more useful for users like us?

It wouldn't be. It may actually feel sluggish if you are doing heavy multitasking, it depends on how its designed.

IdeaMagnate said:
Got the second update! That chat idea sounds good, as long as it's not tonight. (Me = swamped)

Yeah, I think so too. Don't worry, I'm also busy :D. It'll be up there forever, so we're in no rush :)

This article may be of interest to some of you. The first part they show how to load from a boot sector. In coming articles they promise to get through actually loading a kernel. Linuxgazette only updates once a month so it may take a while to get the complete article. I just thought some of the people in this thread would be interested in a basic walk through of designing an OS.

Thanks for the link, srimmer, I'll definitely take a look at it. I appreciate it! :D

>> I was also hoping I could get an email update. <<
You got it! You have just been added...

srimmer said:
This article may be of interest to some of you. The first part they show how to load from a boot sector. In coming articles they promise to get through actually loading a kernel. Linuxgazette only updates once a month so it may take a while to get the complete article. I just thought some of the people in this thread would be interested in a basic walk through of designing an OS.

Thanks a lot for that link!!! When reading that my mind just "clicked" and I actually started to understand assembly language and building an OS, now on to making it load a C++ program!

Oh yeah, everything I need to build an OS should come w/ linux and Nasm right? Would it be easiest to do it in Linux? One more question, does anyone know anything about usig Lilo or Grub to load your Kernel?

Hey there,

I don't know if this was mentioned already... mostly cuz I was to lazy to read through 4 pages of people talking... but.... are you going to make this os open source? I think that would be awesome! just as bad azz as linux then, and I would definitely do some programming for you if you needed help with anything.... I too have read a lot of books and asked a lot of questions about this sort of thing.

>> Thanks a lot for that link!!! When reading that my mind just "clicked" and I actually started to understand assembly language and building an OS, now on to making it load a C++ program! <<

What do you mean, are you going to start writing your own?

>> are you going to make this os open source? <<

Yup, I just have to submit the code I have already (I finished my bootloader and now I'm moving on to the bootstrap) to drunkmonkey, the webmaster of the site (see sig), and it will be updated when I make much progress on the code. So, yes, Pride will be open source (for the first version or so).

>> Lilo and Grub should be able to load Garfield's kernel just fine. <<

I'm writing my own bootloader/strap so I wouldn't need these. I'm doing everything so I won't be needing these.

Garfield said:

What do you mean, are you going to start writing your own?

I'm just going to make something simple just for the learning experience. Maybe Calculator OS, an os thtat is just a calculator and nothing else :).
Have you sent me the source yet?? I can't get my d*** email to work, grrr.
Do any of you know any GOOD free webservers w/ about 25mb of space and php/cgi support?

drunkmonkey said:

No not for garfield's i'm going to make a simple os just for the learning experience but I don't feel like making a bootloader, i'm to lazy to learn assembly.:D

yes ive been thinking of doing this to. if i can ill get it to load on my calc also. would it use the same basic concepts right?

Email is working again

To everyone:
We still need a good logo for PrideOS, it will be the official logo PrideOS will probably always use.

Also, does anyone have a working distribution of Nasm for linux?? I've tried downloading it but when I try to open the RPM it say it can't. I'd appreciate it if someone could give me it in TAR fromat. Thanks.

Back