• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Z170-Premium no boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itsmikerofl

Registered
Hey overclockers

I lack post history on here but I lurk so hard. Here are my specs:
Mobo - ASUS Z170 Premium
CPU - Intel i5 6600K
RAM - 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
GPU - EVGA GTX 980 Ti

I've just gotten done building my first custom water loop, out of glass, in a modded case, and nothing would boot. Motherboard wouldn't POST, gave Q code 00. The RGB LEDs worked, as well as the start and reset buttons, but no other LED would turn on. Nothing else happened.

I disassembled everything and broke some glass in the process. Upon swapping the CPU block with the stock cooler, I realized I made the most n00b mistake I could have: I didn't remove the protective sticker on the bottom on the CPU block. Removed it, no visible heat damage, now I'm testing.

Here's some background.

- Booted before water loop tested.
- Using a spare PSU to test.
- Single channel DDR4 RAM, tried in all four DIMMs. No change, still endless reboot.
- No USB/PCIe devices installed.
- ONLY single channel RAM, CPU, and DisplayPort.

Now, after a couple hours of the same loop, I disconnected the 8-pin EPS cable. Hit the power button. No reboot, but straight 00 Q-code. Upon plugging in the 8-pin EPS cable, I now get some Q-codes. They're presented in this order:

1. 14 (memory initialized)
2. 32 (CPU post memory initialize)
3. 35 (^)
4. 37 (^)
5. 53 (No memory installed)

And then a reboot.

I'm dying here. I finally got every detail of my loop put together, now I'm back at square one. You guys can pull through, I've read many many posts on here.

Thanks in advance.

00 = motherboard, CPU or CPU socket issue, simply can't connect with CPU
5x codes = memory issue, can be compatibility, faulty RAM or faulty memory slot ... can be also CPU socket issue and memory controller can't see memory

I would try BIOS flashback to the latest version and try 1 memory module in last memory slot ( counting from CPU side ).
BIOS flashback feature is described in the manual, page 2-13, chapter 2.2. ( for that you don't need CPU, memory or anything else )

Why I say about flashing BIOS to the latest version ? Because 53 error can be related to memory incompatibility and I've seen something similar on Gigabyte motherboards with other Corsair memory kits.
If it won't help and you will still have 00 or 5x errors then I guess that something isn't right with motherboard and better will be to contact with ASUS support or return motherboard as faulty ( if store can replace it ).

Hi, and thanks much for taking the time to help out.

I had a couple minutes before I left for work earlier this morning, and gave the BIOS Flashback a shot.

Downloaded the 1801 revision and renamed it per the manual. Inserted the USB 2.0 into the directed USB port indicated by the manual.

Flipped on PSU, held FLBK button for 3 seconds until I completed 3 blinks.

The light stalls and turns solid. The manual says this means either an incorrect .CAP file, or straight inability to update the BIOS.

I've contacted ASUS for help on this issue, at this point, it's definitely either a RAM, CPU, or motherboard issue.

I'll give this a check once I get off work. I haven't re-seated the CPU at all since I've built the rig, even upon switching coolers.

But we shall see. Thanks for the help.

Hey again.

Tried both a BIOS Flashback, (using the .CAP file name Z170PR.CAP as per the renaming utility), as well as re-seating the CPU.

Neither gave way to anything but the same 00 no POST.

Taking the board and CPU combo to Micro Center today and having them test another CPU in the board to determine if it's a bad board or a bad CPU.

Updating the thread for future Google search help.

Following the most recent post, I upgraded my CPU to the i7-6700K. Same result.

I came to realize that the PSU I was using in order to test, (some XION thing), outside of my system, was given to my by a friend. This was because the damn thing was overheating and not giving a POST.

Swapped my barebones board/CPU/RAM/Stock cooler into my case, plugged in my primary PSU, (EVGA 650 P2), and bam. Successful POST.

Following this, I reassembled my liquid cooling loop. Once again, no POST.

This left me to make the conclusion that there was a problem with the cooling hardware.

I examined the manuals over once more, reading each step aloud for assembling and installing the blocks.

Turns out, somewhere along the line of uninstalling and reinstalling the CPU block, I missed replacing the plastic washers in between the block's standoffs and the board. This must have been causing a short, either that, or combining this with the XION PSU wouldn't allow a POST.

Up and running now, and dreading taking this beauty apart ever again.

Glad you found the short... wish we'd known about the garbage PSU up front though.

Back