• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me overclock my 980Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harryx

Hi nooby overclocker here is my overclock right now.
Completely stable with no voltage added at +400 memory +200 core.
Even if i add more voltage I cannot seem to get past 205+ on the core without seeing artifacts.

Specs -
i7 4790K - Stock Clock
980Ti 06G-P4-4991-KR - 69.2% ASIC
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
600W EVGA bronze PSU
16GB corsair ddr3

Here is a picture of my overclock.
Are my voltages too high ?
Is my fan speed too high?

Untitled.png

+200 is a pretty solid overclock. Those numbers are probably as high as you're going to get. You might be able to get them a bit higher, but you you'll probably crash in some games. Keep in mind just because it's stable in one program does not mean it's stable in another. I've ran stress testing software on a loop for hours without problem only to find the driver crashes in a game at some point later. Typically once you reach your max stable overclock, over the coming weeks you'll have to dial it back a bit because you'll run into problems in some games. Otherwise, looks fine. Not much left to do.

I would set the fan curve to auto. Let the computer to the work.

+200 is a pretty solid overclock. Those numbers are probably as high as you're going to get. You might be able to get them a bit higher, but you you'll probably crash in some games. Keep in mind just because it's stable in one program does not mean it's stable in another. I've ran stress testing software on a loop for hours without problem only to find the driver crashes in a game at some point later. Typically once you reach your max stable overclock, over the coming weeks you'll have to dial it back a bit because you'll run into problems in some games. Otherwise, looks fine. Not much left to do.

I would set the fan curve to auto. Let the computer to the work.

Wouldn't adding more voltage allow more +core ?

Wouldn't adding more voltage allow more +core ?

Yes, but you already added it. Nvidia adds voltage, core MHz. and memory Mhz. in "steps." There are a specific number of steps, with specific distances between each step for each of the three catagories. Until you add enough Mhz. or vcore to reach the next step, you in effect are doing nothing by increasing the slider. You can easily see this by looking at the graphs in Precision X.

Open the graphs and choose only vcore, memory Mhz. and core Mhz. Now, open GPU-Z and start the render test to load the GPU. Mess around with the sliders a bit and see what it takes to reach the next frequency step. You'll notice that adding a few Mhz. and clicking apply wont actually do anything. That's because the steps are typically at least 15 Mhz. apart, and untill you add enough MHz. to reach the next step, nothing happens.

The same occurs with the vcore voltage. On my 970, anything below +25mv does absolutely nothing. Anything above +25mv increases the voltage by exactly one step. The card will not allow the user to increase the voltage beyond one step above whatever the boost voltage is. It does not matter if you chose +87mv or +30, the voltage increase will probably be the same. Accordingly, I just set it to the max (+87mv) and leave it since I can only get one step increase anyway.

Try it, look at what the vcore is under load, then jack the voltage slide to the max (dont worry you wont break anything, Nvidia wont let you) and click apply. Chances are the vcore wont increase at all if you already added enough vcore to reach the highest step.

Last edited:
My questions are:

1. What are your actual boost clocks (you can see this with a logging/graphing display or the sensor tab in GPUz)
2. Are you hitting the power limit already and throttling? (see #1 for where to find this info - I use MSI afterburner personally....yes it will work with EVGA card)
3. Fan control is up to you. I would leave it on auto unless you are throttling because of temperatures.

Back