• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterflow going down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dima202

I built a watercooling rig with flow meter.
At first, while bleeding the loop I noticed waterflow around 2.4L/m
Now 1 day later I am seeing 1.7L/m dipping down to 1.6L/m

This is running res -> pump -> dual radiator -> GFX 7970 -> triple radiator -> CPU -> res

What could be causing such poor flow?
should I get a new pump?

1683 is Flow measured in ml/m

12h later back up to 1.9L/m.. still well below the recommended 3.8L/m mark

Attachments

• 20160525_014117.jpg
    20160525_014117.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Im guessing you have it on a header that is adjusting the voltage/PWM... See if you can adjust that SYS FAN where it is plugged into to run at a constant speed (in the BIOS).

What's your flowmeter?
If you click on imgurl link you can see it clearer. It's going from GPU to 360 RAD on top
http://www.performance-pcs.com/koolance-ins-fm17n-coolant-flow-meter-no-nozzles.html

Im guessing you have it on a header that is adjusting the voltage/PWM... See if you can adjust that SYS FAN where it is plugged into to run at a constant speed (in the BIOS).
Regarding PWM, no this is manual speed unit, I keep it on highest setting.

I'm mostly hovering around 1.9L/m now (1/2 the recommended amount)
Do not think it will get any higher than this.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Did you clean all of the components (especially the radiator) really well before assembling the loop?

looks like a d5 vario pump that plugs into a molex.
take a tooth pick and see if you can push the terminals into the molex connector, I have had a number of them just not making good contact inside of the connector.
if that's all good it might be time to pull the whole system down and clean it all out.

I agree with the rest of the members. It looks like you have some blockage of some sort or the pump isn't pumping enough with those readings. My pump atm calm is at 3.1 LPM or 0.8 GPM. You're getting awful flow for a D5 pump at setting 5 (max) unless there might be a mix up and its set at setting 1 (lowest).

This has been running for years..
I suspected flow might be low, but flow meter proved it.

When installing everything I did put water through and try to shake any lose metal inside radiators & water blocks.
I understand that I will need to disassemble everything and test each component for flow loss. What device can I use to read flow meter cheaply?

Check the cpu block first as these have the finest fins and therefore act as a bit of a filter/trap for debris to build up on.

Did not do test yet.
I ordered another D5 pump. (Should arrive today)
-Even if current pump is fine, it's good to have extra pump ready to go.

I will start working on this when I have new pump in my hands.
Water flow dropped again down to 1.6L/m and approaching 1.5L/m. (Makes me think it's the pump)

Attachments

• chart.JPG
    chart.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 43
Can't say for sure until you investigate the loop. Need a break down. For all we know its blockage. Same thing happened to me a while back.

Back