• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 390 got hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dopemoney

Registered
So I had AMD Settings open and Afterburner. Learned hard way that that is not best idea. Somehow, AMD settings overrode my fan curve in Afterburner and prevented gpu fans from running at all. I didn't realize it until I heard my case fans all kick into high gear at same time.
I always game with HWinfo in background and it showed that gpu had gotten to 96 before case fans picked up the slack. The game I was playing showed signs of thermal throttling which is sort of good cuz that means the self-protect measures work and protected the core. The gpu appears to still work just fine. Are chances good that I did not do permanent damage if ran super hot for only few minutes?

Well going back a few years my reference R9 290 got to 95C or so on multiple occasions with no residual affects, so you should be fine. The throttling is there to protect the GPU and it did it's job.

Thanks for replying. I feel better about it. Always glad there are others who have gone before me and who are willing to lend knowledge and experience. The card is working well so that's a good sign.

Ive gotten mine to 102C before, its fine
I changed the fan curve so it runs about 70-75C now

Back