• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for fx 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Confuzie

Registered
Hello ,i own a fx6100 without motherboard , what mb i should buy for a bit overclocking it , like 4 ghz~ ?
ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0 is this ok ? For cooling i will use ice edge mini fs but i can upgrade it for a better one if you guys think that cooling is low for fx 6100

ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 R2. if i take this and on the future when i want to overclock the fx 6100 , i could buy a radiator for vrm , is not ok ?

Romania

Last edited:
No. The VRM's are not heatsinked. I'm fairly certain no one makes a water block for them and even if you could cool them, there just isn't enough power behind them for overclocking.

To be totally honest running at stock speeds on that board would be questionable.

It does't make sens at all for me , how they said it support "CPU up to 140W" if the fx 6100 is just 95 w and with a bit of overclock like from 3,3 to 3,8~ it will be that hard ...

It does't make sens at all for me , how they said it support "CPU up to 140W" if the fx 6100 is just 95 w and with a bit of overclock like from 3,3 to 3,8~ it will be that hard ...

Well this sounds familiar... And answer my question please.

I did , i just edited the last post , i didnt want to make one post with only one word ..

I understand Confuzie but this is a very common problem. There is a chance it will work, but the risk isn't worth it in my opinion. These AMD FX chips run so hot and draw a lot of power especially when overclocked. The fact that you have the 95W variant is definitely a plus, but it will reach the limits of those VRMs.

Do you have the board already?

I dont , thats why i come here for suggestion , i think better buy sh motherboard from retailers , what do you think about : Gigabyte 970A-DS3P and MSI 970A-G43 ?

I used the MSI 970A for my brothers FX-6200 and could not over clock on it. In fact it's to hot for my liking at stock. The Gigabyte board is a 4+1 VRM also so I would not suggest it.

Here's a link to an older database showing the VRM's of different boards. Keep in mind this is getting out dated now but you get the hint. For the FX-6100 I would stick with 6+2 or better.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

EDIT: A heatsinked board will be better for Overclocking also.

If it is in fact an 8+2 heatsinked board that would be your best option from what you've listed.

Coufuzie, you are confusing (couldn't resist the pun) the DS3P with the UD3P gigabyte. The former has only 4+1 power phase.

Attachments

• 4+1.PNG
    4+1.PNG
    72.7 KB · Views: 114
Yep , thank you , i made a mistake there , i found the UD3 cheaper than ds3p :D

Back