• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling solution for Fractal Node 605?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pdneves

Hello,
I have the following build:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII
CPU: Intel I7-4790K @ 4.00GHz c/ stock cooler
RAM: G.Skill PC3-21300 2666MHz 16GB TridentX CL12
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E
HDD1: Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA III
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III 3.5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650W MODULAR 80PLUS GOLD

All of this on a Fractal Design Node 605.

The problem is that now during the Spring / Summer (Portugal) temperatures are going high 30º or more, in the last few days with only 27º during load usage the CPU was around 98º/100º.
My question is what is the best water cooling solution AIO single radiator / fan to buy with a buget of 130$/120€?
And which fans (brand and model) should I buy (SP or AF) for in and out like the image shows:
Any help would be appreciated please.

Thanks.

Welcome pdneves.

Unfortunately few of these smaller HTPC cases are designed with watercooling in mind. Your best bet is going to be to get the best air cooler you can fit in that case and replace your case fans with high CFM fans like the AF series corsairs you mentioned. The SP fans are designed for use on radiators.

If you really wanted to go water your best bet would be to mount the rad outside of the case. This would require some simple modding of the case. There are several images on google to show how to do this.

Welcome pdneves.

Unfortunately few of these smaller HTPC cases are designed with watercooling in mind. Your best bet is going to be to get the best air cooler you can fit in that case and replace your case fans with high CFM fans like the AF series corsairs you mentioned. The SP fans are designed for use on radiators.

If you really wanted to go water your best bet would be to mount the rad outside of the case. This would require some simple modding of the case. There are several images on google to show how to do this.

Thank you. As for the outside rad I have seen some examples, is there any AIO single 120mm water cooling solution you suggest? I had in mind the Corsair H55 but the reviews show it's better to have a air solution.

Thanks.

I reviewed and still own that case. About the only way you will get a 120mm rad in there is to get an ITX motheboard (MAYBE a mATX) and put it on that fan or remove the HDD 'cages' and put it there on the other side (IF the hoses will reach to the other side). Most 120mm AIO's don't cool much better than air.

As far as fans, quite honestly, the vents are VERY restrictive, worse than a radiator. I would use radiator fans due to their SP in this application.

What cooler is on the 4790K right now? I know things get a bit warm in there, but, I am surprised you are hitting those temps, even with a stock intel cooler.

Right. I've never used an AIO. Everything I've read and have been told has indicated the top air coolers are equal to or better than AIO coolers. Although recently some of the newest 240mm coolers are supposed to surpass the top air coolers.

This is about the best list I could find in short notice.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5_liquid_heatsinks.cfm

Back