• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needing DDR3 2x8Gb recommendations.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Can't believe this but, I actually need 16Gb of RAM now. :shock:
Having Minecraft open along side 7 chrome tabs and my other apps makes Windows kill chrome, Minecraft and the folding client to free up RAM even though the 2Gb swap file isn't 100% in use... Never used to. Ever since the SSD was installed and became my primary drive.

Anyways, browsing the egg these two catch my eye: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104455 and http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313699
They would match my white theme nicely but the timings leave something to be desired.

So the question here is: Are there any good 2x8Gb kits out there?
How well would the 2 I linked tighten in terms of timings?
Also, how well does the HyperX play with 1090t's? I know FX has a hard time...
I'm open to any speeds, honestly If I can run 1866's on this 1090t that would help bring up the bandwidth a bit.

I'll take the silence as any kit will do and I should have known this? :shrug:

What is understood need not be discussed. G skill 2x8 1866. Cheap as hell right now.

Bought the Team Group RAM I linked to. Hope it works!!!

Last edited:
Most DDR3 are now on amost the same IC so it doesn't really matter what you get unless you want something "extreme" and then it's still better to look for older series on auctions.

Most DDR3 are now on amost the same IC so it doesn't really matter what you get unless you want something "extreme" and then it's still better to look for older series on auctions.
This is the answer I was looking for when I posted this question.

I was unsure if there are any higher clocking kits out there or if I was better off just grabbing any kit.
Thank you Woomack.

Well, being that you appear to be on the Phenom II Thuban platform your pretty much limited to 1600MHz up to maybe 1800/1866MHz. That platform wasn't known to clock very high on memory and remain stable.

I personally kind of like these, they're what I used for my build: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615&Tpk=N82E16820231615

Much more expensive in Canada apparently, nearly $20 more than in the US.

Though I do kind of wish I'd bought a 1600MHz kit instead, since I bought 1866MHz sticks and ended up running them at 1600MHz with tighter timings anyway. Hindsight is 20/20.

Guess I'm a bit late to the thread, didn't see it until just now.

Well, being that you appear to be on the Phenom II Thuban platform your pretty much limited to 1600MHz up to maybe 1800/1866MHz. That platform wasn't known to clock very high on memory and remain stable.

I personally kind of like these, they're what I used for my build: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615&Tpk=N82E16820231615

Much more expensive in Canada apparently, nearly $20 more than in the US.

Though I do kind of wish I'd bought a 1600MHz kit instead, since I bought 1866MHz sticks and ended up running them at 1600MHz with tighter timings anyway. Hindsight is 20/20.

Guess I'm a bit late to the thread, didn't see it until just now.

I noticed with this Phenom that I had lower memory multipliers vs FX.. I never really bothered with tweaking the RAM since the kit I hvae now is pretty good.

I'm hoping for 1866 to bring up the bandwidth a bit. Sitting at 8.6Gb/s according to MAxxpi where as the FX was sitting at 14Gb/s or so.

Nevertheless, thank you for picking some RAM out! :)

I'm sure I'm just repeating what is already known but.... Phenom ii apparently is only rated for 1333 but (per the word of another member here and a small amount of experience) will run 1600 easy. I've had the sticks I listed running stable (prime location blend for a couple hours) @ 1700 and some change with small voltage bumps. I've seen screenies around here that show 1866 on a 955be though. I guess stepping up the volts is where it's @ but I'm not brave enough to fry my sticks like that..... Yet :)

I'm sure I'm just repeating what is already known but.... Phenom ii apparently is only rated for 1333 but (per the word of another member here and a small amount of experience) will run 1600 easy. I've had the sticks I listed running stable (prime blend for a couple hours) @ 1700 and some change with small voltage bumps. I've seen screenies around here that show 1866 on a 955be though. I guess stepping up the volts is where it's @ but I'm not brave enough to fry my sticks like that..... Yet :)
nothing to see here folks, just a guy who doesn't know the difference between edit and quote on the mobile app :)

Since price is similar ( or at least not much higher ) then it's still better to buy higher clocked memory kit and just set it lower at tighter timings. Usually it's a bit better for OC and easier to sell later.

Back