• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790k vs 5775c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiozaki

i cant find any benchmarks or reviews that show which is better clock for clock, anyone have any ideas?

idgaf about price to performance just fyi

thanks guys

4790k is the better buy. The 5775c doesn't OC as far as has a lower stock speed as well. The only real benefit to broadwell was the integrated GPU

in my situation id probably be underclocking the 4790 and going with the s model.

With a 4790s it has a locked multiplier so you wont be able to adjust the CPU multiplier. Why go with such a expensive CPU just to lower the performance, just purchase a lower cost CPU.

Because.

Anyhow, cloxknfor clock the 5775 will be my choice, as long as the alpha will run it.

With a 4790s it has a locked multiplier so you wont be able to adjust the CPU multiplier. Why go with such a expensive CPU just to lower the performance, just purchase a lower cost CPU.

You should be able to lower the multiplier even on a locked chip, that's how the power saving features work. The multi's are only locked upwards on any chip I've seen.

if your not adding a video card, i would go with the 5775c. its already 65watt TDP for a quad core, if you are not really doing anything 2.4ghz would be a perfect everyday clock speed IMO. should put it in the 45-55 watt range, might be lower if you can down the voltage some too. just takes a bit of checking once you have the system up and running. cant forget the fact that the 5775c had 128 EDram...

You should be able to lower the multiplier even on a locked chip, that's how the power saving features work. The multi's are only locked upwards on any chip I've seen.
I have not tried to lower the clock with a locked CPU have you or anyone? I would not think using power saving features would do it.

I have not tried to lower the clock with a locked CPU have you or anyone? I would not think using power saving features would do it.

I have not tried it with any of the newer Intel chips but I have done it on first and second gen i3's successfully.

yea shouldnt be a problem to lower the multi in the bios or is the only Z series chipsets? even on locked cpus you just have the range they are locked in, with the lowest one being what is used by EIST. i got a first gen i3 mobile cpu with it set in the bios to be 2ghz vs 2.4ghz. the box is for movies ect and thats done by the 730gt so the clock speed isnt really that big an issue.

I haven't on newer chips (only had k series recently) but even as far back as A64 and 775 you can lower it. You don't use the power saving feature to under clock but the lower Multi's are unlocked or the chip can't downclock to save power.

Back