• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the introduction of the 1070 and 1080 affect the prices for Tita

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

It's too bad I can't re-write the title. My basic question is whether or not the introduction of the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 will reduce prices on Titan X parts and maybe result in a sell-off in the used markets.

Title says it all. The only reason I'm wondering is because I've noticed used original Titans are STILL selling for premium prices -- I guess because of their double precision capabilities?

Im extremely curious how prices overall will be affected. Not just GPU's, but PSU's as well. With the proliferation of low power draw, yet high performance equipment, I feel the 1000w+ psu's are gonna be taking a huge hit as well. The 1080 is what, 180w? A 600w would support an i7 +2 of them and have plenty of breathing room for overclocking.

Im extremely curious how prices overall will be affected. Not just GPU's, but PSU's as well. With the proliferation of low power draw, yet high performance equipment, I feel the 1000w+ psu's are gonna be taking a huge hit as well. The 1080 is what, 180w? A 600w would support an i7 +2 of them and have plenty of breathing room for overclocking.

PSUs have been largely oversized for over a generation. People consistently buy way more than they need.

The way I see it is if you have a560 660,r290 etc then yes you should upgrade to the new spec.
I run 2 980 tis and have NO issues playing any games in 4K with great frames on a 75 curve Samsung.
Power draw to me isn't an issue. I find it very satisfying that I have to have say 400 watts to power one card.
Think of it like this if you buy a card with 400 hp let's say. Are you really going to care about the gas mileage as your foot clamps to the floor. 🍺

The way I see it is if you have a560 660,r290 etc then yes you should upgrade to the new spec.
I run 2 980 tis and have NO issues playing any games in 4K with great frames on a 75 curve Samsung.
Power draw to me isn't an issue. I find it very satisfying that I have to have say 400 watts to power one card.
Think of it like this if you buy a card with 400 hp let's say. Are you really going to care about the gas mileage as your foot clamps to the floor. ��

275 watts is the max a 980ti can pull. It is rated at 250 and can only pull an extra 10 percent.

What Janus says is correct. Most people overbuy on their power supply for no reason. There is no benefit in running a 1000W PSU, infact it may be less efficient because it is not running in it's optimum range.

Both of my cards are gigabyte waterforce cards.2 8 pin,and 6 pin connected on both.
I would say that's alittle more than 250 on one card.

Title says it all. The only reason I'm wondering is because I've noticed used original Titans are STILL selling for premium prices -- I guess because of their double precision capabilities?
Probably because the 1070 and 1080 arnt really out. The 1070 still is not out at all, and the 1080 is out of stock everywhere. Once both become mainstream, manufacturers will reduce the price of all their inferior cards or else they simply wont sell any of them. Simple economics. No one is going to pay more money for a poorer-preforming product.

PSU's: well, it depends on the PSU and where the sweet spot for efficiency.

for example: my silverstone 1500W PSU is rated 80+ silver, but has over 90% efficiency at about half load. (i bought it for the separate 12v rails, and the efficiency at the power draw i needed.) and i based that efficiency info off of JohnnyGuru's review at the time.

back on topic: even if the prices DO drop... in my opinion, in the past, the prices have never dropped ENOUGH to consider buying less than the newest generation of GPU. previous generation flagships (referring to general GTX 980TI, for example, not the K|NGP|N editions) would need to go half price brand new for me to even consider them. after all, a 1070 gains 20% value over a 980 TI,( due to running cooler, and lower power draw ), and 1070s will run $350?... so to me, a brand new 980TI sitting on the shelf next to a 1070 is worth $275 - $300 at most, relatively speaking.

Last edited:
Back