• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fun with pcie riser cables and sli!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I got my second pcie riser cable today, YEA!!!!!!!! :p
I am having so much fun now, I think everybody should try sli on riser cables!!!!!
let's cut right to the fun, shall we?
the way I am routing the cables is nested one on top of the other, this is not working out quite as I had thought.... well... um.... er....... not at all actually.
with both cards in the board all is happy and goodness reins supreme.
when I mount the cards out on the bracket and route the cables so they look pretty and are out of sight behind the cards happiness packs it's leaving trunk and dusts it's broom, like when your little brings you a bourdon and coke with nothing but coke in the glass..........:mad:
kind of pull the cables apart some, and make the pretty, fully exposed rig start to look fairly ugly and the rig starts to improve some so I figure nesting the $30 cables is going to be a no go.........:(
I called my buddy, down in Atlanta who knows stuff and things and he says that nesting $30 cables is going to be a no go.......:(
he tells me I need (as usual with him), some of these, http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=8KC3-0726-0250&vendor=19, $100 cables:eek:
will the $100 cables nest into each other and make my rig all happy and pretty again????

Just making sure I'm understanding you. When you say nesting, you mean:

Motherboard ---> Cable 1 ---> Cable 2 ---> Video card

?

If so, I'm not sure the more expensive cables are going to help you. The two things you are fighting are signal loss and noise. You'll lose a bit of signal strength at every physical connection. You should also probably try and shield your cables. Wrap them in a metal foil.

There may be something else I'm missing and I haven't done the experiment myself, so I can't say for sure.

Reading the description of that copper tape it says it is conductive on both sides (adhesive and copper). That would seem to be a no go for CD's purposes. Have I missed something?

The cables he linked are impedance controlled (a must for high speed digital)...it looks like they match the impedance of the PCI-E line.

The tape I posted will give an EMI shield...you need metal for an EMI shield. As an extra benefit, it will help control the impedance of the lines. It won't match them like the cables, but it might get him by.

If CD is concerned about the metal, he could add an insulating barrier (like plastic wrap) between the riser cable and the copper tape.

If it was me, I would go with the expensive impedance matched riser cables! :thup:

:D

I ordered them from digikey, will let you know when they get here and I get them in.
this is in a thermaltake core p5 fully exposed case and no mickey mouse looking stuff is going in this.

OH!!!! goody, goody goody!!!!!!!!
I got my new $100:)screwy:) pcie riser cables came in today!!!!!!:attn:
now my 8 core, 5.2ghz,liquid cooled, sli'd file server is truly over the top stupid:thup:
these cables are great, you can run them right on top of each other and no funky crap on the screen!!!!!!
why would I build a file storage box with all this dino juice sucking stuff, you might ask, well all I can say is, well... I dunno..... it's just stuff I had laying around:rofl:

Back