• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potentially Failing HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

If any of you remember my problems with building a budget computer for my girlfriend, well... I have one more problem. Recently in the games Rust and Overwatch, both have been losing files. Both needing to scan the game files and redownload what it found to be missing. I ran CrystalDiskInfo and found this:

HDD.PNG

0C/12 "Current Pending Sectors". This seem like a failing drive to you? The drive must be 8+ years old.

Wow. That means those drives have been powered on for almost half of my life xD

I would watch that number. If it doesn't grow the drive may be OK. I have a drive that developed some remapped sectors during a power failure at about 3 months of run time. It is well over 8 years power on hours and has not changed. That is a 200GB Seagate Barracuda.

OTOH I have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda that has 2750 remapped sectors. I took it out of service and put it in a sled once in a while to make secondary backups.

If remapped sectors grows from day to day or even week to week, it is time to retire the drive.

Ehh, why take the risk? New HDDs are dirt cheap.

Image the drive to a brand new HDD and toss that old one on an electronics recycling bin after you secure erase it.

Ehh, why take the risk? New HDDs are dirt cheap.

Image the drive to a brand new HDD and toss that old one on an electronics recycling bin after you secure erase it.

The drive is currently being used as a storage drive just for her video games, nothing important. Was gonna send her one of my AMD 240GB SSDs, think I should just monitor it?

Last edited:
The drive is currently being used as a storage drive just for her video games, nothing important. Was gonna send her one of my AMD 240GB SSDs, think I should just monitor it?

I wouldn't bother if it was me. Drives are cheap.
Then again, if there's nothing important on it and it's no big loss if it dies, then yeah. I'd keep an eye on it. Might last another 5 years who knows really!

Back