• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade macbook pro ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

i just came across this company, OWC Aura 6G, that sells SSD upgrade for Early 2013 macbook pro 15" retina.
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2012-2013
My mac has 240GB storage and it's a little more than half way filled up. Not to mention that "Other" category is quite filling.
Would it be worth upgrading to 480 GB ($209) or 1 TB ($400)?

i'm guessing SSD is pretty much all i need to upgrade from a laptop.

i'm not sure about the quality of the product as i can't find much reviews about this.

And if i do decide to upgrade then i would be using this Macbook pro for another 3-5 years. (3 years if 480GB upgrade. 5 years if 1TB upgrade in my guess)

So is it worth upgrading or wait few more years and get a new laptop?

Thanks!

If the drive isn't full, or near it, I wouldn't pay the $200+ to get the bigger one unless you know your usage is going to change drastically soon.
Full meaning at capacity, unable to hold more media.

Look at an external drive for files you rarely use, but are large.

If the drive isn't full, or near it, I wouldn't pay the $200+ to get the bigger one unless you know your usage is going to change drastically soon.
Full meaning at capacity, unable to hold more media.

Look at an external drive for files you rarely use, but are large.

oh i see.
Does upgrading to this SSD have any effect on how fast an app opens such as photoshop? faster performance in PS ?
or upgrading SSD on mac is simply adding more storage?

If you're already on an SSD you won't notice the difference in Photoshop.

Back