• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080 Founder's Edition is too cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Alpha

To defend this apparently preposterous proposition let me tell you about my Friday, no pre-orders. On Thursday there was a notice on the website of the electronics store close to where I work that the GTX 1080 would go on sale at 4 pm on Friday. I figure there will probably be some demand so I decide to get there early to get one. So on Friday I get to work at 7am, which a big deal for me for I am very much not a morning person. At three I head from from work to go stand in line.

There are already eight people in line before me. The guy in the front of the line tells me he's been there all day. When four o'clock finally rolls around and they start handing out out card, guess how many they had? That's right! Eight! FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- :mad:

I immediately whip out my smartphone and get onto their website to order one. The website is dog-slow, apparently from so many people trying to order 1080s. When I finally manage to order one I'm like the hundredth in line. :cry: Not only that, but according to the inventory tracking information on their website they got ten, not eight. What happened to the other two? Well, my brother knows a guy who knows a guy who works at the store and rumor has it that the store manager snagged two for his SLI build. :temper:

I start browsing around on all other places that might sell a 1080. As far as I can tell every 1080 in the country sold out in under 5 minutes, and its on huge back-order everywhere.

The GTX 1080 Founder's Edition sells for €800 incl. VAT here, and frankly that is nowhere near enough. I'd much rather had to had pay more but actually get one, cause I'm sitting here with an Oculus Rift but without a VR ready graphics card.

Exciting times :)

They will stock up soon enough, they wouldn't be foolish enough to dwindle on that...

While I sympathize with your frustration, with a release like the 1080 they could have doubled the price and sold out just as fast. Then we'd all be screaming about "Those damn gougers!". When the partner cards are released there will be a new batch of folks acting like teenage girls at a Beatles concert, too. So would I if I could afford one. LOL I would imagine the GTX 1080 is going to be a high demand card for a while.

Even at "699" thats still significantly out of the scope for literally like 97% of pc owners. Being able to afford one does not necessarily mean it is a justifiable cost either. After the initial push, I think it will be the same as the 980ti. Still going to be a very select few that own them. The 1070 on the other hand... that ones probably gonna be a pain in the butt to get for a few weeks...

The GTX 1080 Founder's Edition sells for €800 incl. VAT here, and frankly that is nowhere near enough. I'd much rather had to had pay more but actually get one, cause I'm sitting here with an Oculus Rift but without a VR ready graphics card.

So why dident you just offer double the asking price to one of the eight people that got one? If you want to waste your cash, there is no shortage of people that will take it off your hands for you.

yea dont feel to bad everyone had a nightmare getting one i sat up from midnight to 8:45 am before i got lucky and got one from newegg,

at midnight Evga's website crapped out(come to find out they were not going to sell cards til 6 am so i waited up,according to an email from nvidia they would start selling cards at 6am on there site so at 3 minutes before 6am i log onto there site and see that the cards are all ready being sold early!! i freak out and add one to my card and in the time it takes me to type my address they are sold out 2 minutes before 6am even comes around at this point im pissed at nvidia for telling people 6am and then selling them sooner..so i log onto evga's site and see they are taking orders i add one to card and there site crashes again..as far as i know there site iis down the rest of the day...so i start using this tracker here (https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/) and see that newegg has some in stock around 8 am but were only selling like 5 cards every 15 minutes it took me about 4 trys to be able to checkout before they were sold out again but finally got one!!

only problem was in my rush to get the order complete i typoed on my shipping address and its being shipped to the next street over 18th dr not 18th ave lol ill have to call newegg when they are open and have the fix that or call fed-ex myself later and update my address with them, im just glad i got a card ordered i was raging mad at how nvidia and Evga handled this launch.

So why dident you just offer double the asking price to one of the eight people that got one? If you want to waste your cash, there is no shortage of people that will take it off your hands for you.

Hyperbole dude.

Back