• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink design (more fins and thiner?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiozaki

$_57.jpg

This is the aluminum heatsink from my girlfriends alienware alpha, I have become fond of the little machine and I have been upgrading it here and there for her.

Its new cpu time and I'm trying to improve the cooling, I'm having the machine shop near me make a solid copper one for me.

Here's the question, should I double the fin count? Would more thin fins be an improvement or not ?

Any way you add more surface area will show improvement. Sure, more fins and thinner would be fine.

Is this totally a passive cooling arrangement? Not familiar with what an Alienware alpha is. Generally, more surface area improves heat transfer but if fins get too close together it can can cut down on the flow of air past them and be counterproductive.

Last edited:
Here's the question, should I double the fin count? Would more thin fins be an improvement or not ?
If it it fanless, pins might do better than fins, just because they'll allow more airflow:
Splayed-Copper-Pin-Fin-Heat-Sink.jpg

Back