• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP - DRIVER CONFLICT (Not Responding)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TrueTexan

:confused:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OWNER-HP
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 1900 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.13, 9/4/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Owner-HP\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.48 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.13 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.70 GB
Page File Space 5.48 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[Problem Summary]

I've been having an issue with some type of conflict. When opening Outlook, or Firefox, or Word - basic computer use - There is some problem that has been "changing the top bar" - such as a flashing/blinking - then the "Not Responding" message will show up next to whatever program. It will quickly switch, rapidly - back and forth between working/not-working. Sometimes the problem will just "flicker" - then sometimes it will be a non-stop "flashing", sometimes activating the "Alt-Tab" switch between programs function. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is hitting "Windows" button to activate the "Start Menu" ... if this doesn't work, then I go to Task Manager/End Tasks - and without even selecting any programs to end, the problem will correct itself, just being in that application/process.

[History]
This behavior seems to have started when I downloaded a bad copy of SketchUp from a 3rd Party site, it had some Malware in the executable. At install, many/many/many other utility programs and various other programs automatically installed - This was some type of automatic downloader/installer that I had to fight with for 2 hours, actively - it was like 30 programs per minute it was downloading and installing. I finally got it removed and halted, but it appears that since then this "driver conflict" has been occurring.

I've tried Malware Bytes and nothing - I've thought maybe Registry conflict, but I can't find anything.

PLEASE HELP - Thanks :salute::salute:

Malware is still present or has done too much damage to the registry. Wipe the drive and reinstall the OS.

Ditto. Infections that bad will not be taken care of by cleaning. Too much brokenness resulted. Start clean. You might also try rolling the system back to an earlier date using a Windows PE rescue disk but in my experience malware often wipes out those restore date entries.

Gentlemen I appreciate your responses - but I just can't settle - This seems like it should be something we can troubleshoot. Make a few adjustments and then everything is better than ever. I'm sure there is a solution.

Generally, It's a little more difficult than that. lol
I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it would be more efficient and take much less time to reinstall the OS than it would be to find and fix all the errors. I don't consider that settling, I consider that the proper solution.

I can only suggest that once you fix the problem you create a proper backup. DriveImage XML works excellent using the Runtime Live CD. I use it for both of my pc's. The WinPE boot disc is a pita to use imo.
Have you tried Autoruns to see if there are any suspicious entries?

:confused:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OWNER-HP
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 1900 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.13, 9/4/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Owner-HP\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.48 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.13 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.70 GB
Page File Space 5.48 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[Problem Summary]

I've been having an issue with some type of conflict. When opening Outlook, or Firefox, or Word - basic computer use - There is some problem that has been "changing the top bar" - such as a flashing/blinking - then the "Not Responding" message will show up next to whatever program. It will quickly switch, rapidly - back and forth between working/not-working. Sometimes the problem will just "flicker" - then sometimes it will be a non-stop "flashing", sometimes activating the "Alt-Tab" switch between programs function. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is hitting "Windows" button to activate the "Start Menu" ... if this doesn't work, then I go to Task Manager/End Tasks - and without even selecting any programs to end, the problem will correct itself, just being in that application/process.

[History]
This behavior seems to have started when I downloaded a bad copy of SketchUp from a 3rd Party site, it had some Malware in the executable. At install, many/many/many other utility programs and various other programs automatically installed - This was some type of automatic downloader/installer that I had to fight with for 2 hours, actively - it was like 30 programs per minute it was downloading and installing. I finally got it removed and halted, but it appears that since then this "driver conflict" has been occurring.

I've tried Malware Bytes and nothing - I've thought maybe Registry conflict, but I can't find anything.

PLEASE HELP - Thanks :salute::salute:

Walk me through what you've done so far-- im assuming you have used other utilities other than malwarebytes.

Walk me through what you've done so far-- I'm assuming you have used other utilities other than malwarebytes.

I've only ran a few diagnostics, such as going into the system like Device Manager to look for conflicts, but haven't been able to find anything.

I don't have any discs or backups.

With so little info to work off of- this will be a lengthy process to cover as many bases as I can.

You mentioned you found a malware infection... something that was auto downloading other junk.

So lets make sure you have successfully removed everything.

Put the machine in a clean boot state:

Open a Run Prompt (Window key + R)

type: msconfig

select the "services" tab > check the box that says "Hide all microsoft services" > then click the "disable all" button

select the "startup" tab > click the "disable all" button

Click Apply, then OK.

Reboot the computer.

Run the following in order:

JRT (Junkware removal tool) Can be found on bleepingcomputer.com
ADW Cleaner - Can also be found on bleepingcomputer.com
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool - can be downloaded at kaspersky.com ( by default, KVRT only scans "well known" spots for viruses ... before you start the scan, make sure you check the "system drive" box - as we want to scan the entire drive )
TDSSkiller - can be downloaded at kaspersky.com

JRT may require a reboot if certain objects are detected.
ADW cleaner always requires a reboot.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After you've run those scans and removed any other threats.... see if your apps are functioning as normal.

If they are, you should be able to undo the "clean state" by opening msconfig like before-- and under the services tab and start up tab -- hit the "enable all" button. - reboot the machine

If not- then we will try a few other things.

-TC

JRT
64 Items deleted

ADW Cleaner
20 Items deleted

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
Removed Multi.Download or Multi-Generic - Trojan

TDSSkiller
Nothing Detected :)

Thanks!:clap:

- - - Updated - - -

BUT.... Still acting up a bit - Seems like its better .... but not completely fixed yet...

TT,

Can you be a bit more specific in what is giving you issues still?

--

In the meantime, run the following:

Open an elevated command prompt. (Start > in search box type: "cmd" > left click cmd.exe and select "run as administrator")

Type the following: sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while. It should repair any system files that are corrupted.

Also, I forgot to mention something regarding TDSSKiller. You'll want to run this program with certain features enabled. So start TDSSKiller, before you scan... select change parameters. Make sure the "loaded modules" box is checked. TDSSKiller will prompt you to restart... reboot the machine. When the machine reboots, it will load TDSSkiller automatically on startup. THEN scan the machine.

If the scan comes back negative, then you're doing OK.

A couple other utilities you can run to see if we missed anything:

Hitman Pro (free 1 use license) (available at bleepingcomputer.com)
Rkill (available at bleeping computer.com)

-TC

TC

Thanks again for the help - running new scans now - Will update as soon as I've got the results.

As for the ongoing issues - pretty much the same... When using programs like Firefox or Word, I'll have slight glitch at random - its a screen flash, as if its attempting to switch programs like "Alt-Tab" would do - It momentarily (1 or 2 seconds) will have "Not Responding" at the top bar, but then goes back to normal. Also happens nearly every time I use the mouse to click on File/SaveAs/Type of File

TT,

Can you be a bit more specific in what is giving you issues still?

--

In the meantime, run the following:

Open an elevated command prompt. (Start > in search box type: "cmd" > left click cmd.exe and select "run as administrator")

Type the following: sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while. It should repair any system files that are corrupted.

Also, I forgot to mention something regarding TDSSKiller. You'll want to run this program with certain features enabled. So start TDSSKiller, before you scan... select change parameters. Make sure the "loaded modules" box is checked. TDSSKiller will prompt you to restart... reboot the machine. When the machine reboots, it will load TDSSkiller automatically on startup. THEN scan the machine.

If the scan comes back negative, then you're doing OK.

A couple other utilities you can run to see if we missed anything:

Hitman Pro (free 1 use license) (available at bleepingcomputer.com)
Rkill (available at bleeping computer.com)

-TC

TDSSKiller - Loaded Modules Checked - Reboot = No Items Detected

- - - Updated - - -

Rkill 2.8.4 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright 2008-2016 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 07/01/2016 01:04:27 AM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* TBS [Missing Service]

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1 down.baidu2016.com
127.0.0.1 123.sogou.com
127.0.0.1 www.czzsyzgm.com
127.0.0.1 www.czzsyzxl.com

Program finished at: 07/01/2016 01:05:53 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 1 minute(s), and 25 seconds(s)

- - - Updated - - -

Rkill 2.8.4 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright 2008-2016 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 07/01/2016 01:04:27 AM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* TBS [Missing Service]

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1 down.baidu2016.com
127.0.0.1 123.sogou.com
127.0.0.1 www.czzsyzgm.com
127.0.0.1 www.czzsyzxl.com

Program finished at: 07/01/2016 01:05:53 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 1 minute(s), and 25 seconds(s)

Back