• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with figuring out why my overclocking doesn't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amuzie

Registered
I have a i7 860 2.8ghz which I'm trying to overclock. But I can never get it to work. I will provide 3 links which should give you all the necessary details.

Images of my bios and such. (these settings causes my computer to make the sound in the youtube clip. Actually any change causes that sound.)

The sound my CPU? Makes everytime I change something.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3072238/figure-overclock-860.html#18034044 A thread which gives my specs and what happens when I try using Easytune 6.

Anyone got a clue what's causing this. Faulty RAM? CPU? Or anything else?

What Gigabyte motherboard do you have? What have you set your memory to when you raise the BCLK?

Whoops. Forgot to mention the motherboard... It's a Gigabyte P55A-UD4 socket 1156.

My memories are set to 1200mhz. It says in the imgur post at the bottom i believe.

When you raise the BCLK clock you should have to lower the memory speed to maintain the stock speed of the memory then save and boot. Your memory is showing in your picture 1332Mhz.

I tried lowering it to 1200mhz but that didn't seem to work. So should I try to go even lower than 1200?

Edit: okay let me ask you this. By looking at my BIOS settings what would you recommend me to change?

Last edited:
Lets look at CPU-Z memory speed also memory tab then post in this forum using insert image. Try going lower than 1200Mhz.

No problem, looks like your memory speed is 1332 Mhz. What do you set your BCLK to when you try to overclock? I would like to see the CPU tab.

Last edited:
I followed a guide from a couple of years ago that recommended setting the BCLK to 200 and put the multiplier down to 10-12.

Screenshot_1.png

Now it's on default OFC

I was able to overclock my CPU with 180 BCLK and memory to 1080mhz. The temps are very high (about 91 degrees with 3.8ghz) and I'm going to change the thermal paste on my CPU.

I was able to overclock my CPU with 180 BCLK and memory to 1080mhz. The temps are very high (about 91 degrees with 3.8ghz) and I'm going to change the thermal paste on my CPU.

It may be not your thermal paste, What is your CPU cooler? Maybe you should buy a new(And better)one?
Edit:
Just saw the Cooler, Maybe your cooler fan speed or pump power? isn't enough?

The computer is in the worst location ever. But I'll be moving in a week so that's fine. I also noticed that the back fan was blowing in and the cooler fan on the inside of the case was blowing out. So I changed some fans around. Like the fans at the front side were blowing out....

The computer is in the worst location ever. But I'll be moving in a week so that's fine. I also noticed that the back fan was blowing in and the cooler fan on the
inside of the case was blowing out. So I changed some fans around. Like the fans at the front side were blowing out....

Any change?

Sorry for taking so long. So I've applied thermal paste to both the CPU and GPU and am now fixing the fans and such. 1 question though. Are these fans the right way?
IMG_20160530_181435.jpg IMG_20160530_181426.jpg IMG_20160530_181419.jpg

That's funny because I switched them around. Seems like the guy who had this computer before had his fans the wrong way... So did I for 6 months....

This is weird. I changed the thermal paste (artic silver 5) on both the CPU and GPU. I also changed the direction of the fans to the pictures above. And now my cpu is jumoing around with the temps between 40-60 at idling. The mhz jumps from 2931 to 1330 randomly and the watt changed constantly. Weird behavior. My GPU has a temp of 58 degrees idle.

The MHZ and watt seems to have stabled out. The temp is still 55 on idle though.

Edit: The max temp on the standard 2.8ghz was 86 degrees. Which is more than at 3.4ghz before. Anyone know why?

Edit 2: I re applied the thermal paste and re attached the cooler. Now i max out at 54 degrees and 40 degrees idle at 2.9ghz. OVERCLOCK TIME!!!

Last edited:
Seems like the max OC possible is 3.9ghz and the temps go up to around 90 with prime95 and 60-70 idle. Currently have 3.2ghz wih temps of 70 with prime95 and 50 idle.

Seems like the max OC possible is 3.9ghz and the temps go up to around 90 with prime95 and 60-70 idle. Currently have 3.2ghz wih temps of 70 with prime95 and 50 idle.

Wouldnt run 3.9 24/7.
Try 3.8 or 3.7 and report the temps.:)

Back