• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC i7 6700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would like to suggest two things:

1. Go about this more scientific.
2. Err on the side of caution.

Typically you want to start at stocks speeds and slowly work your way up to your maximum overclock, its a marathon not a foot-race ;) Right now you are just jumping around. Try documenting your progress/results and go off others examples. Here's what I would do... reset all your BIOS settings, toggle manual multiplier and voltage. Try the following settings:

Multiplier = 40 @ 1.20 V
Multiplier = 42 @ 1.25 V
Multiplier = 44 @ 1.35 V

If you can't pass Prime 95 Small FFT over 30 mins, then raise your voltage by 0.025 and try it again. Once you pass Prime 95 Small FFT test over 30 mins, try to lower your voltage while staying at the same multiplier. After you determine the lowest possible STABLE voltage for that multiplier, move up to the next multiplier. After you figure out roughly how much voltage you need per extra multiplier. You can run some longer tests (1-2 hours), to insure that to don't crash during normal usage.

PS: The CPU run off a base clock speed times a multiplier to get its operating frequency... so (multiplier) x (baseclock) = frequency; 44 x 100 = 4400 MHz = 4.4 GHz

Is 1.20vcore your stock voltage for stock i7 6700k clock with turbo?

I think its like 1.15V in BIOS on auto, under Prime95 Small FFT it like spikes to 1.20/1.26 sometimes during Turbo to 4.2 on one of the cores? :confused:

I think its like 1.15V in BIOS on auto, under Prime95 Small FFT it like spikes to 1.20/1.26 sometimes during Turbo to 4.2 on one of the cores? :confused:
1.26 is just fine for stock voltage for one core turbo, intel uses dynamic vcore voltage, with more load there is more voltage. When I tested stability at 4.2GHz with my i5 6600k it was stable with a safety margin at a peak Vcore of 1.26v. For my 4.5GHz clock it is a Vcore 1.296v to 1.332v, spread spectrum cases the variance in voltage.

I've been told several times that there's not really any point in going above 4.5ghz for gaming/day to day and to see how low i can go with it (voltage wise), you can try the same ? whats your temps for 4.6ghz ?

I've been told several times that there's not really any point in going above 4.5ghz for gaming/day to day and to see how low i can go with it (voltage wise), you can try the same ? whats your temps for 4.6ghz ?

55* during gaming, 81* max during stress testing. 70*F ambient (air conditioned room)

this is my 4.5 stable though
Untitled-1.jpg

1.296v but sometimes spikes to 1.376 idk what that means haha
now that i think about it, the 4.6 was most around 1.36 but spikes to 1.408...

Ive noticed at 4.7 stable that most games dont utilize 100% cpu for any extended periods, so unless you're running a cpu intensive game chances are your gpu will be your limit before cpu (so you wont see much ingame difference between 4.5 and 4.7).
I saw a noticeable difference between 4.5 and 4.7 in benchmarks, but nothing in games.
My volts max about 1.408v with 100% usage, but usually sits around 1.38v during gaming.

Ive noticed at 4.7 stable that most games dont utilize 100% cpu for any extended periods, so unless you're running a cpu intensive game chances are your gpu will be your limit before cpu (so you wont see much ingame difference between 4.5 and 4.7).
I saw a noticeable difference between 4.5 and 4.7 in benchmarks, but nothing in games.
My volts max about 1.408v with 100% usage, but usually sits around 1.38v during gaming.

i play a cpu heavy MMORPG but generally my cpu sits around 20-40% usage but the gpu is only at 55% usage

Last edited:
Just for fun have you tried the stock CPU clock to see how it runs your game, it is only utilizing 20-40% CPU utlization in gaming.

World of Warcraft will do that especially now that it gained 3 graphic levels above ultra settings. Normal questing, 5 man dungeons barely hit 30% CPU usage, but in a 20 man raid for example with dozens on spells and AoE effects going at the same time I've seen mine hit 80%+ on all 8 threads and the 980ti which usually doesn't even boost suddenly spikes to 70c+.

Haven't been at stock ever since i got this CPU :rofl: I'll try it next time i get a raid :p

It's a hobby of mine l like to see how real gains are made with my i5 6600k from stock 3.6GHz to 4.5GHz. in my applications. I wish you knew about world of Warcraft.;)

Last edited:
Are you looking for cpu utilization in wow on a stock 6700k vs an oc 6700k? It would only take me a minute to gather that if your looking for it.

Back