• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC i7 6700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes CPU stock verses OC utilization , thanks if you could.:)

I kept it as close to the same on each run as I could.
Both runs were in Warspear on a pretty populated realm. Started at the Inn, ran up to the Flight Path, then over to the AH, and back to the Inn where I ran around outside the Inn and cast a bunch of spells.
Left is stock, Right is a 4.7 overclock

stockvsoc.png

Vary interesting on the stock cores 4.0 GHz it is a total of 505%=63% utilization, GPU is 94%. With 4.7GHz it is 438%=55% utilization, GPU is 82%. That is a interesting game I wonder why it does not use 80-100% utilization.

Last edited:
Update on this? :/

My temps is ****...

Although its around 25-30 celcius in my room, sadly

Update: sorry it took so long, 3h raid with ultra settings 10 w/vSync 60hz @1080p

WoW graphics engine with the Legion update is REALLY working my CPU but not the GPU... well before it wouldn't even boost, i suppose you can call that improvement ?

CPU raid.jpg CPU+GPU raid.jpg

Apologies for hijacking, someone asked for CPU usage in several games including WoW at stock vs OC, read back on page 4.

Have your queries been answered ?

I would like to suggest two things:

1. Go about this more scientific.
2. Err on the side of caution.

Typically you want to start at stocks speeds and slowly work your way up to your maximum overclock, its a marathon not a foot-race ;) Right now you are just jumping around. Try documenting your progress/results and go off others examples. Here's what I would do... reset all your BIOS settings, toggle manual multiplier and voltage. Try the following settings:

Multiplier = 40 @ 1.20 V
Multiplier = 42 @ 1.25 V
Multiplier = 44 @ 1.35 V

If you can't pass Prime 95 Small FFT over 30 mins, then raise your voltage by 0.025 and try it again. Once you pass Prime 95 Small FFT test over 30 mins, try to lower your voltage while staying at the same multiplier. After you determine the lowest possible STABLE voltage for that multiplier, move up to the next multiplier. After you figure out roughly how much voltage you need per extra multiplier. You can run some longer tests (1-2 hours), to insure that to don't crash during normal usage.

PS: The CPU run off a base clock speed times a multiplier to get its operating frequency... so (multiplier) x (baseclock) = frequency; 44 x 100 = 4400 MHz = 4.4 GHz

Update on this? :/

My temps is ****...

Although its around 25-30 celcius in my room, sadly

We have already told you how to go about this, start at stock and go from there. Find out what the best LLC setting is, like E_D said you need one in that the voltage stays roughly the same and the one you input.

ASUS goes around slightly different in terms of testing (link below), up to you but both methods are tried and true so to speak.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...7-6700K-To-4-6GHz-On-The-Maximus-VIII-Extreme

We have already told you how to go about this, start at stock and go from there. Find out what the best LLC setting is, like E_D said you need one in that the voltage stays roughly the same and the one you input.

ASUS goes around slightly different in terms of testing (link below), up to you but both methods are tried and true so to speak.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...7-6700K-To-4-6GHz-On-The-Maximus-VIII-Extreme

I did the steps, and it works, seems to be working fine too, but the ROG program is ****, it just "detects instabillity" no matter what

But, playing War Thunder, I spike at 90 celcius in the CPU :/

If it "detects instability" it means something in your system is not working as it should. Are you sure your cooler is working 100% ? did you apply thermal paste properly ? 70c+ is normal at 1.3v+ on a top air/AIO cooler but below that you shouldn't have any issues unless your case is cluttered to the brim with wires or dust :(

Running 4.4ghz 1.2v atm and it barely hits 60c with fans at 50%.

If it "detects instability" it means something in your system is not working as it should. Are you sure your cooler is working 100% ? did you apply thermal paste properly ? 70c+ is normal at 1.3v+ on a top air/AIO cooler but below that you shouldn't have any issues unless your case is cluttered to the brim with wires or dust :(

Running 4.4ghz 1.2v atm and it barely hits 60c with fans at 50%.

I dont 100% know how to troubleshoot a water cooler :p
I mean, I feel medium warm air coming out of the radiator, and the pump "i think" is working

And the paste, is a hassle since everyone has different technique, but I put a "pea" in the middle, and I cant see afterwards how it went, and I guess, when I open it up again, I have to apply new paste?

My case is not cluttered with wires, it was made by proffessionals when I bought it, only the wires from the new cooler is "cluttered" since I dont have the will to do it tidy, but its like 2-3 cables

Open up the side of the case and run the stress test again, if your temps are lower then you need better airflow or higher static pressure fans on your radiator.

As for your mount, what is the difference in the temps on each core while you stress test it? Is the delta between them around 10C or more? If so, you probably didn't get a good mount. The most reliable method is to apply a grain of rice-sized thermal paste in the center. Then apply the mount vertically, try not to shift the mount horizontally once it makes contact with the thermal paste then slowly screw down the heatsink going in a figure 8 to apply even pressure. (like changing a tire). When you remove the cooler, you will need to clean the surfaces with IPA + cotton swabs and then reapply thermal paste ;)

The most reliable method is to apply a grain of rice-sized thermal paste in the center.

Actually "grain of rice" is not enough for these new chips. Better works thin layer of TIM on all surface or at least some more in the center if cooler put good pressure so it spreads good. It also depends from used TIM.

Small pea sized or rice is plenty on a 6700K... spreading it tends to caused airbubbles and not recommended I thought?

If someone don't know how to spread then maybe but if pressure is good then there are no bubbles. Many high end coolers are slightly bent so there are no bubbles. However some water blocks are flat. EK are usually slightly bent in the center but I'm not sure what about other brands.
Also "pea" size is more than "rice" :) ... at the end all depends what TIM is in use. If it's dry like some of the Bequiet or other brands then it won't spread good. If it's MX4 then is no problem.

Btw that video is not so good and made on P4 which has smaller IHS. Most coolers put more pressure than this guy not to mention that it clearly looks like he didn't want to repeat that spreading test.

There were many threads about it and all have their way to apply TIM. I have better results with spreading TIM and I'm using mainly MX4, Noctua, CRYORIG ( which is the same as Noctua but noone wanted to confirm that ) and cheaper Gelid.

I said "small" pea sized.. perhaps BB would have translated better for you. Both are around the same size and work just fine for a 6700K sized CPU like the OP has.

The pressure is where the problem comes in. He has a perfect spread.

The video was NOT in reference to how much paste to use, just to demonstrate the air bubbles in the 'spread' method with a flat base.

I thought Intel recommended the line method for the 6700k? I'm not sure how much difference the pea method makes compared to it, but I followed Intel's recommendation and I don't have any heat issues. CPU stays right around low-mid 50C during gaming.

I used the spread method nearly a decade ago... but that was bunked last I read and have used the "SMALL" pea/BB method ever since. Perhaps I could have save a degree or two with another method, but, really, that's chasing ghosts. The point with ANY method is to achieve complete IHS coverage with the least amount of air bubbles possible.

The amount lintel still uses on there heat sink TIM is a grain of rice, that is what I have been doing for 25 years. I use grain size drop with my Hyper 212. If you use more it squeezes out when the CPU gets vary hot.

Back