• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu - Fresh installation problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoogleNinja

Good arfternoon

I have tried to install onto a freshly formatted drive ubuntu, the latest version.. i get almost to the end then get an error, "cannot install on this drive"..

im using Intel i5-2500k stock, 16gb vengeance ram, win 7 64bit on a 120gb SSD drive and a maxtor 500gb drive for the ubuntu install

ive tried removing the SSD and installing it from CD with no windows operating system and it still wont get past this problem..

have tried 6 different harddisks, ranging from 80gb to 500gb..

ive tried downloading a USB ubuntu install flash drive
tried running it from a DVD and installing it..

nothing is working..

please help

I think you might be trying to install a 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit system.
please go check what you may have downloaded.

I have run into this before and have fresh downloaded the os, reformatted the drive from the live cd with the ext4 extension and corrected it, I always thought I had downloaded the wrong version.

Is the drive formatted for MBR when you are booting the install media off of UEFI? I would think the installer would redo the partition type to the proper format (MBR or GPT), but maybe this is the issue?

Is the drive formatted for MBR when you are booting the install media off of UEFI? I would think the installer would redo the partition type to the proper format (MBR or GPT), but maybe this is the issue?

how would i be able to determine this..

What boot method are you using when selecting the dvd/flash drive? Does it say UEFI on the boot device menu? Is UEFI enabled? If it is you will need to build a UEFI boot partition on the drive or Ubuntu will automatically create one if not using the "something else" option when choosing drives/ partitions. Any chance you could give it a whirl and take a screenshot of the partitioning stuff from the Ubuntu installer? Is UEFI enabled (and set to UEFI only) in bios?

I would check to make sure the installer is attempting to install grub to the correct device. By default the installation media is marked read-only (for obvious reasons). It is not unheard of for Ubiquity to pick the wrong device to attempt to install the bootloader to

how would i be able to determine this..

If you run 'sudo gparted' or 'sudo gparted' from a command line (from the live CD/USB boot) it will tell you whether it uses MBR or GPT partition type. (It might call MBR 'DOS partitions.") If that program is not installed, you can install it on any Debian derived distro (Mint, Ubuntu etc) with 'sudo apt-get install gparted.'

AFAIK GPT is required for UEFI and regular boot can be done for MBR or GPT. I've been using GPT partitions for several years now.

Good arfternoon

I have tried to install onto a freshly formatted drive ubuntu, the latest version.. i get almost to the end then get an error, "cannot install on this drive"..

im using Intel i5-2500k stock, 16gb vengeance ram, win 7 64bit on a 120gb SSD drive and a maxtor 500gb drive for the ubuntu install

ive tried removing the SSD and installing it from CD with no windows operating system and it still wont get past this problem..

have tried 6 different harddisks, ranging from 80gb to 500gb..

ive tried downloading a USB ubuntu install flash drive
tried running it from a DVD and installing it..

nothing is working..

please help

Did the Ubuntu version you used have an option to run "live"? During the install process, where you presented with installation options, such as "replace existing OS" or "install along side existing OS"? Did you get to set a user, and user password?

I just put together a zorin rig, it's Ubuntu based.
to get it to install to the drive, I wound up hooking it up externaly, reformatting it to ntfs, installing the drive and have gparted format it to ext4 to get it to install, you might try that.

My skt 2011 Asrock x79ext4 has UEFI but apparently pre-dates the secure boot implementation, as I've not had Linux installation issues with it.

Back