• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zio_mangrovia

I have to replace fan cooler + heatsink for CPU Intel Q6600 because it's too noisy ( it's 9 years old! ) and I want to buy new one more efficient, can you suggest some models at low price?
Be carefully I'm going to overclock this cpu but Bios is blocked!
My motherboard is:

Foxconn N15235
chipset P4M890
Southbridge VT8237A
3 GB ram ddr2

About overclock?

212 EVO, just make sure it still has 775 mounting these days.

Keep the motherboard cool, I wouldn't overclock on it though.

Because its power delivery section is WOEFULLY inadequate as well as not having any heatsinks on the VRMs (around the socket).

There is a reason your BIOS doesn't have any overclocking options... its not made to do so.

Also, if you check for CPU support, the Q6600 is NOT on the list. So if that CPU does work, it is likely gimped in some way. That board cannot support a quad core CPU...

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000315

Last edited:
It's LGA 775 so you can just do a bus speed mod. If the chipset supports 1333 you can just short those pins.

No way in hell I would do that... look at the board and its 2 phase non heatsinked power delivery...

CPU supports up to 95W its a 105W CPU.........

Yes, it could, and overclocking on such a woefully inadequate VRM is a perfect way to increase this chance exponentially.

Or it could do nothing and just shut off. You do know if he doesn't increase voltage it doesn't hugely increase wattage consumed right?

I think overclocking this board is a moot point. The Foxconn N15235 is a Parkard Bell OEM motherboard rocking a VIA chipset.

No way in hell I would do that... look at the board and its 2 phase non heatsinked power delivery...

CPU supports up to 95W its a 105W CPU.........
I wouldn't overclock on that either. Didn't even know they made 2-phase power sections on LGA775 boards, lowest I'd seen was 3-phase/2+1.

Actually, that depends upon which stepping it is. The B3 stepping (SL9UM) was 105W, but the G0 stepping (SLACR) was 95W.

I'm amazed the CPU worked in that board at all though, considering it's a 945G chipset. I don't even think quad-core cpu's existed when that board was made. Don't remember what chipset introduced compatibility for quad cores on the Intel LGA775 platform for certain though.

I would not overclock that board, purchase a used board for overclocking I have one if you want.

I think overclocking this board is a moot point. The Foxconn N15235 is a Parkard Bell OEM motherboard rocking a VIA chipset.

I found used Asus P5KPL-AM rev. 1.02g which supports both 775 socket and Core 2 Quad.
Chipset is Intel® G31 Intel ICH7
FSB is 1600*/1333/1066/800 MHz (*1600 is overclock speed)

What do you think? Can I use it for overclock?!

Nope. It's essentially the same thing. 3 phase (2+1) power without heatsinks.

See the 'cubes' around the socket, there are 3.... that is your vrm/power delivery.

Back