• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will there be RX 490?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As title said since now the RX 480 has launched. Do you guys think there be 490? There was a rumor that it maybe will?
Since I do see a pattern as well.

1) Previously the new Polaris cards was rumored to be up to 300$ while the 480 only costs 200$
2) As you know AMD X80 isn't their top cards. It normally ends at X90. If 480 I'd the only card why name it 480 instead of 490?
Some said 490 is Vega but Vega is a different Architecture isn't it? If so won't it be a new naming scheme maybe like RX 500??

So what you guys think? Will the 480 be the only high end Polaris 10 card or you think there be more??

http://www.techpowerup.com/222403/amd-pulls-radeon-vega-launch-to-october

If you watch the computex presentation, it makes sense for them to name Vega10 as 490 given their naming scheme. Vega11 will be the R9 fury x successor... so even that wouldn't be call rx5xx

I find that rather weird then, being Vega is another new family isn't it ? But yet they sticking to the last gen naming scheme.
But Polaris is a Mid Range card to begin with and Vega is the High End ones...I guess it does make a bit of sense as well...
But if so, then there's still a long time before Vega would release. The date of October is all rumors anyways.
Like how recently there's another new rumor or was it a solid info that Zen be delay again, till 2017 CES....I may jump the gun and go with Skylake then....
Now I'm pulling my hair off whether to get RX 480 or a Fury. I can almost guarantee Fury prices ain't going to move any time soon here. Being RX 480 is a Mid Range, so both of them won't collide.
So shops would just still sell Fury at full price. Though 980 Ti had a HUGE price cut recently, but no way in Hell I ever touching an NVIDIA card.
( I have my reasons for not supporting NVIDIA, let me make it clear it is that I don't support NVIDIA and it's not because I can't afford it. )

AMD has been doing this with each of their GPUs since the R9 days:

R9 270: Curaçao
R9 280: Tahiti
R9 290: Hawaii

R9 370: Trinidad
R9 380: Tonga
R9 390: Grenada

R9 470: Polaris 11
R9 480: Polaris 10
R9 490: Vega 10

480 and 490 will likely both be polaris dolk. The next "fury" card is the speculated Vega card at this time to my understanding.

On my phone , there's a good leaked info page I'll grab later.

As title said since now the RX 480 has launched. Do you guys think there be 490? There was a rumor that it maybe will?
Since I do see a pattern as well.

1) Previously the new Polaris cards was rumored to be up to 300$ while the 480 only costs 200$
2) As you know AMD X80 isn't their top cards. It normally ends at X90. If 480 I'd the only card why name it 480 instead of 490?
Some said 490 is Vega but Vega is a different Architecture isn't it? If so won't it be a new naming scheme maybe like RX 500??

So what you guys think? Will the 480 be the only high end Polaris 10 card or you think there be more??

To answer your question, Yes, There will be a RX490 (And 490X).
And as Dolk Said :
R9 470: Polaris 11
R9 480: Polaris 10
R9 490: Vega 10
This will probably what it will be like.

Repeating for additional weight. AMD has often made different code named gpus for the same consumer number series. Additionally, I don't think vega is much more than a polaris gpu with more "cores" and a different memory controller. What is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. The only thing that matters are performance and price. Don't get so hung up on names if they don't have a gpu that fits in their previous name scheme they will just make a new name scheme.

jediman has it correct. Each teir is just either more or less cores and performance.

Although there is a chance that Vega could be the beta tester of the next architecture build. Basically what the lower end 5xx would become.

Well it doesnt seem like we will see it anytime soon, amd only announced the 470 and 460 at the PC GAMER e3 conference.
So probably not until august september.

Well it doesnt seem like we will see it anytime soon, amd only announced the 470 and 460 at the PC GAMER e3 conference.
So probably not until august september.

AMD also said their polaris range will go to 299$. As of this, we've only seen 199$ and thats the 480x. Also with memory id's, they are identifying the 480 as the midrange (comparing to the nomenclature from the past releases).

To quote the horses mouth, and I will bold the applicable.

"The Polaris 10 GPU is the successor to the 300-series, which AMD views as its mainstream range. This means Polaris 10 is not the next Fury and Fury X, but rather a 300 series successor, which is up to and including the R9 390X. That equates to the eventual Polaris 10 powered Radeon R9 490X being capable of GTX 980 Ti performance for a price tag in the region of $300-400. Click to expand Polaris Price Performance Comparison The Polaris 10 GPU itself has a maximum TDP of 175W, but AMD claims it will generally consume far less than that. Early benchmarks have the Polaris 10 scoring in the region of 4000 points in 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra, which puts it firmly in the ballpark of the Fury X and the 980 Ti. "

Back