• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 390 or newer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I was waiting to build my new computer until the new GPU's came out (read: 1070 and 1080), but thinking more about it, it seems the 1070 (which is the one I would go for, since it is cheaper) is about the same as the R9 390...same memory size and speed, 8 GB of GDDR5. I know this is the AMD forum, but does anyone know what the difference would be between the 1070 and the 390? Doesn't seem like there is any difference to me.

My second question is, do I just go for an R9 390 (say a Sapphire) or do I wait for the RX 480? I don't care about VR yet, and it seems AMD is not trying to go for enthusiast cards anymore, although there will be an 8 GB version of the RX eventually I've read. I'm really thinking seriously about building my computer next month either with the RX or a 390. Any input you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure why you would assume AMD is not going for enthusiasts, since they have only announced one card thus far.

If you can wait, just wait. Prices will only continue to trend downward. You are right on the cusp of a big shift in prices. If you still decide you want a 390 or a 1070 in a month or two, then they will be cheaper. If you decide you want a 480/another card they will announce, then you'll have that option.

I'm not sure why you would assume AMD is not going for enthusiasts, since they have only announced one card thus far.

If you can wait, just wait. Prices will only continue to trend downward. You are right on the cusp of a big shift in prices. If you still decide you want a 390 or a 1070 in a month or two, then they will be cheaper. If you decide you want a 480/another card they will announce, then you'll have that option.

I say AMD is not going for enthusiasts because I read that Polaris 10 and 11 won't be direct competition for the 1070/1080. They are going after the mainstream market with the RX 480 and whatever the next one will be. This is evidenced by the $200 price point of the RX 480. I know there will be a more expensive model with 8 GB of memory, but $200 is a pretty sweet price for a new card.

Thats because Vega is supposed to compete with pascal, not polaris.

Back