• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem overclocking ddr4 3000mhz with asus z170-a motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christiankase

I am having problems with using the xmp profile for my ram so that I can run it at 3000mhz instead of 2133 mhz. I choose the xmp profile in the bios on my asus z170-a motherboard and I come across a booting problem where sometimes it will boot up normal and other times I will have to get back into the bios and reset it back to defaults. Also, what does it mean when I boot my computer up and the ASUS logo shows and says OVERCLOCK 15%?

My setup:
Setup: CPU: Intel I7 6700k
Cooling: Custom water cooling loop with EKWB parts
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
Mem: Dominator® Platinum Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
PSU: EVGA supernova 750W
Graphics: No gpu

Do you guys have guides I can follow to help make my computer stable when running my ram at 3000mhz? Here is a link to my exact ram also: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233872.

Also, if anyone can explain why it says overclock 15% or 05% or something when I boot my computer up and it shows the ASUS logo and to press f2 to get to the bios?

I will update my bios in the morning when I get my ethernet cable and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Other users had similar issues on other motherboards with Corsair memory. In most cases BIOS update was helping. If not then try to set everything manually and leave timings at auto instead of XMP. Also set 1.35V memory voltage.

On the overclock, the mobo might be overclocking the CPU for you. The 6700k is 4 GHz base, 4.2 GHz single core turbo. My VIII Hero overclocks it to 4200 4-cores, as does the MSI Gaming Pro. That would be a 5% overclock. Just make sure they don't pick a silly voltage for you when doing that.

Back