• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG - Plex Server on NVIDIA Shield

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
In the next NVIDIA firmware update, they will be including Plex SERVER to run on an NVIDIA Shield TV BOX:

https://blog.plex.tv/2016/06/09/nvidia-shield-you-complete-us/comment-page-1/#comment-203728

- Hardware accelerated transcoding.
- Can access storage anywhere on the network.

WOW - this is a game changer!

I'm hoping they release some transcoding specifications/benchmarks...

A $200 box that can:

- Play content in 4K
- Stream games
- Awesome media PC
- DVR Application (beta Silicon Dust)
- Plex Media Server

Just WOW...

Last edited:
Because Plex is amazing :D

I think the Shield may be to only device that can run both Android TV and Plex Media Server.

Because Plex is amazing :D

I think the Shield may be to only device that can run both Android TV and Plex Media Server.

I found just the opposite, I use it only out of necessity for streaming to my Xbox One.

im sure since they have developed the plex media center for android to get it working on the shield pretty soon it will be available for other android based devices, also firetv can do almost all of that stuff at half the price point only downside is 4k is only 30hz on it. and for some reason the gen2 firetv doesnt have xbox 360 controller support for some reason? gen1 does. i heard they are supposed to patch it in an update.

I have Plex Media Server installed as a plugin for FreeNAS. I store all my music and movies on the NAS, then I can stream them with any device with the Plex Client App or with any device with a web browser by using their web-based app (plex.tv/web/app). So, when I'm traveling, at work, out of town, doing yard work, etc. I can use my phone, a TV, or PC for music/movies.

Better question, why use Plex??

Plex is simply awesome!

- It's stable
- The server can run on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, NAS, soon NVIDIA Shield, etc.)
- There are clients available for just about every platform
- I can stream directly to a web browser
- The interface for the apps/web browser is uncluttered and easy to use
- Did I mention it's stable?
- I can stream music, movies, etc. outside of my house without having to setup a static IP address
---> My kids love this! They can always watch a movie or listen to music from the home library on their cell phones...no matter where they are

im sure since they have developed the plex media center for android to get it working on the shield pretty soon it will be available for other android based devices, also firetv can do almost all of that stuff at half the price point only downside is 4k is only 30hz on it. and for some reason the gen2 firetv doesnt have xbox 360 controller support for some reason? gen1 does. i heard they are supposed to patch it in an update.

Shield vs. other streaming players

https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv/shield-androidtv-vs-appletv-vs-roku-vs-firetv

yeah, alot of the stuff it has as X's on the firetv isnt true, i have a gen1 and i can stream games from my gaming pc @1080p and play with a wireless xbox controller or mouse/keyboard (new one you can stream games at 4k), i have kodi installed, a game controller is included with the gaming edition, most of the stuff it says it cant do it can..

edit it also gets 4k youtube

Last edited:
Plex is NOT amazing. I tried it on my Vizio smart tv and sure enough, some of my videos were completely ignored. I'm shootin for remote control of vlc with my phone.

Back