• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 may be on its last leg ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poco242

I have a Sabertooth paired with an FX 8350. I run it very hard and have been going for a few months now with a 4.81ghz OC. I run it 24-7 crunching. today I got home and Windows was on the log in screen. I thought maybe Windows snuck in an update on me. I logged in and got it back to crunching. About 20 min ago the screen went blank and I see the red CPU led is on. I held the power switch to shut it down and then restarted it. All working fine. I restarted again and took off the overclock for now. It was not running hot. VRM has maybe hit 63c in the last few weeks. CPU 62c or so. I am not sure if it is the Mobo going or the CPU. It has never done it before, but I have read a lot of posts on Asus boards and the CPU light.

Anyone else ran into this issue? If it is the board I will just buy a new one and RMA this one for a spare. If the processor I will just replace it. Any good way to tell?

It's not the board.
CPU is too hot. Thermal shutdown kicked in.
There are small temp spikes that you'll never see. If you're already over 60c, it won't take much of one to trip the thermal shutdown. It's not Winter anymore. Time to dial that OC back, or get better cooling.

I have a Sabertooth paired with an FX 8350. I run it very hard and have been going for a few months now with a 4.81ghz OC. I run it 24-7 crunching. today I got home and Windows was on the log in screen. I thought maybe Windows snuck in an update on me. I logged in and got it back to crunching. About 20 min ago the screen went blank and I see the red CPU led is on. I held the power switch to shut it down and then restarted it. All working fine. I restarted again and took off the overclock for now. It was not running hot. VRM has maybe hit 63c in the last few weeks. CPU 62c or so. I am not sure if it is the Mobo going or the CPU. It has never done it before, but I have read a lot of posts on Asus boards and the CPU light.

Anyone else ran into this issue? If it is the board I will just buy a new one and RMA this one for a spare. If the processor I will just replace it. Any good way to tell?

Not knowing what your temps was before the shut downs, I can't really say but as a guess, it's the CPU, another guess is the thermal paste has dried out from CPU running at 60c+.

I'm with MrScott on this. Likely just getting too hot. Summer is here and an elevation in ambient combined with DC will really raise the temps. If it'll run at stock without issue then not likely anything is wrong with the HW.

I don't have a R2, just a Sabertooth 990FX and my temps never get over 40c, then again it's not OC'ed. I had some problems with the FX-9590 at stock, so I just let all 5 FX-8350's run at 4GHZ :)

1 GA990FXA-UD5 (Rev 1.0) FX-8350
2 GA990FXA-UD5 (Rev 3.0) FX-8350
1 GA990FXA-UD5 R5 (Rev 1.0) FX-8350
1 Sabertooth 990FX (Rev 1.0) FX-8350

Actually I have it narrowed down. It did it again even with the OC off. Temps where low at the time. I have had temps well above 60 for extended periods so I know temps are not the issue. I have actually hit 70 for short times with no errors on the tasks I was crunching. What I believe it is, is my ATX connector. I have suspected a problem with it for a while because t would not start from time to time, but a wiggle of the connector and it would. I have been putting off pulling it off to check it out, but I need to do it soon. With the CPU light on this time I wiggled the connector and it went out, then started fine. I just hope it is the connector on the power supply side and not the board side. It never did seem to plug in right when I first built it. I have a Corsair RM PSU so I should be able to buy a new ATX cable if needed.

Better sooner than later Poco, loose wires cause fires. Words to live by.

Back