• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could you build a $200 HTPC that will run all blurays, netflix, and kodi movies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

42YottabyteSim

Registered
Ok, I've been scouring the internet, spent about 5 hours on Amazon trying to match up parts.

Here is my question. I already own the Windows OS, External USB Bluray Player, and 7200RPM 1TB HD.

I'm wanting to build a $200 HTPC for a friend, where they will be able to use it with Windows 10 OS and Kodi.

I'm not concerned about gaming, but playing 1080p can sometimes stutter a bit, so I don't want to risk any lag in smoothly playing 1080p through netflix, the external bluray, youtube, hulu, etc, etc.

So, can anyone here come up with a parts list to create a $200 HTPC.

Here's the closest I'm getting to it:
Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR4-2133 - $18
ASUS H110M-A LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro-ATX DDR4 Motherboard - $53
Intel BX80662I36100 Core i3-6100 3M Cache, 3.70 GHz Processor - $115
Subtotal= $186

Still need a case and PSU. I've read about the PicoPSU 120W as working for some peoples HTPC, but others complain its not enough power to run the system I've listed above.

I've also considered making it cheaper by using an AMD A8 CPU, because it has integrated R7 graphics, but some say it will handle 1080p, but others say it wont.

So I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice, since I'm reading a lot of contradicting stuff when it comes to getting real 1080p smooth playback with no worries.

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip. I'm reading a lot of reviews now of some saying celeron will work fine, but also some people experiencing choppy 1080p playback in some cases, but not sure if the celeron is to blame.

I did find this: Pentium Processor G4400 3.3 GHz FCLGA1151 for only $58, which would still save me $50 from the i3.

It's only only $8 more than the celeron. According to CPU Boss the pentium has an 8.3 out of 10 rating which is pretty damn impressive for a $58 dollar CPU.

Also if you know anything about 120w picopsu's being used in a mini-itx case, please let me know if that sounds like a legit setup for this hardware.

Can't wait for the RasberryPi7. I hear it will support 4k VR ;)

Last edited:
Look at an NVIDIA Shield...$199.

It may struggle with Blu-Ray, but he can rip with MKV...

Look at an NVIDIA Shield...$199.

It may struggle with Blu-Ray, but he can rip with MKV...

not only would it struggle with blu-ray, it wouldnt work with blu-ray at all unless you ripped them on the pc and shared the converted files.

Ok, I've been scouring the internet, spent about 5 hours on Amazon trying to match up parts.

Here is my question. I already own the Windows OS, External USB Bluray Player, and 7200RPM 1TB HD.

I'm wanting to build a $200 HTPC for a friend, where they will be able to use it with Windows 10 OS and Kodi.

I'm not concerned about gaming, but playing 1080p can sometimes stutter a bit, so I don't want to risk any lag in smoothly playing 1080p through netflix, the external bluray, youtube, hulu, etc, etc.

So, can anyone here come up with a parts list to create a $200 HTPC.

Here's the closest I'm getting to it:
Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR4-2133 - $18
ASUS H110M-A LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro-ATX DDR4 Motherboard - $53
Intel BX80662I36100 Core i3-6100 3M Cache, 3.70 GHz Processor - $115
Subtotal= $186

Still need a case and PSU. I've read about the PicoPSU 120W as working for some peoples HTPC, but others complain its not enough power to run the system I've listed above.

I've also considered making it cheaper by using an AMD A8 CPU, because it has integrated R7 graphics, but some say it will handle 1080p, but others say it wont.

So I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice, since I'm reading a lot of contradicting stuff when it comes to getting real 1080p smooth playback with no worries.

Thanks.

If my old Raspberry Pi can handle 36Gb BluRay RIPS at full 1080p and 5.1 Audio I would imaging one of the new Raspberry Pi with the faster processor will easily handle your needs

to bad i didnt see this sooner, i would have suggested a ATI APU vs an intel system. using software like powerdvd can offload the BD discs to the cpu's video decoder. i havent seen much info/talk about intels non iris video chipset and how it does with BD disc decoding.

If you didn't already purchase parts, I'd recommend the G4500 over the G4400. You get the HD530 integrated graphics on the G4500, whereas the G4400 has the HD510. Worth the extra $10 to me. I have the G4500 in my HTPC and it plays 1080p no problem.

to bad i didnt see this sooner, i would have suggested a ATI APU vs an intel system. using software like powerdvd can offload the BD discs to the cpu's video decoder. i havent seen much info/talk about intels non iris video chipset and how it does with BD disc decoding.

That's what I would've thought too. Did a quick look around, seems like even the upper end AM1 APUs can handle bluray as long as the player has hardware support. No VLC.

Something like:

GIGABYTE GA-AM1M-S2H - $35
Athlon 5350 - $43
2x2GB kit DDR3 -~$25

That leaves ~$100 for a case/PSU (no storage drive or bluray drive, right?). Toss a low wattage Antec or Corsair PSU into a cheap mATX HTPC case and hitting the $200 mark is easy.

Edit: Just saw the comments about owning the bluray drive, HDD, and a copy of Windows.

Last edited:
Why not one of these?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

There's a USB port for the external player. Start around $99 on amazon.

I don't even see the sense in building a HTPC if all one wants/needs to do is watch movies. And these sticks will only get better with time.

For a standard TV viewing experience, I bet that would be a good choice. I went HTPC because I was able to customize it the way I want (storage size, audio card, connectivity options, etc).
I am curious though if something like that could be plugged into a surround receiver hdmi instead of a tv to get the benefits of the receiver with video pass-through to the tv. Might be a great choice for someone on a budget that wants a decent movie viewing experience.

FYI, I run an AMD [email protected] (stock cooler) on an Asus A55BM-Plus, with 8GB of DDR3 1600/Cl8 (120 euro total) and a CX600 (spare PSU I had in a closet for ages...) with a 250GB SSD, and it works wonder (blue-ray, browsing, office, even the CS suite!!!).

I put a 7970 in it, for the fun, and I played BF HL@1080p, on very high settings in the 50+ fps...

I put a 7970 in it, for the fun, and I played BF HL@1080p, on very high settings in the 50+ fps...

I have a 7950 that I've been trying to sell, unsuccessfully, that I'm now considering putting in mine after hearing this. 1080p on a 70" might be fun for some games...

I am curious though if something like that could be plugged into a surround receiver hdmi instead of a tv to get the benefits of the receiver with video pass-through to the tv. Might be a great choice for someone on a budget that wants a decent movie viewing experience.

Yes, it works with any standard HDMI input.

As far as storage is concerned, being this isn't likely the only Windows computer in the house/apartment, I'd think mapping a drive to a share on another computer to access and save large chunks of data would be sufficient. That would be my plan at least. Transfer rates only need to be as fast as HD streaming requires, and Wireless N more than fulfills those needs. Audio will be best over hdmi, most other methods of connecting to a receiver are inferior.

Last edited:
Back