• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant rebooting issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Had my PC reboot several times last week eventually not booting motherboard seems to have died. Tested with another PSU and it booted once to OS then rebooted and would not get back to OS again not even BIOS would boot on it. Thought it was CMOS battery replaced that before changing mobo made no difference.

So I got a GIGABYTE (GA-78LMT-USB3) and a couple of case fans as the other two were making grinding noises and new ram since my old mobo was running DDR2.

So after doing all this setting the machine up etc I got into windows thought everything was cool used the PC for a brief period of time then it restarted again :(

So I had again a look in event viewer which had the same errors as it did before on my last motherboard as below.

The Windows Security Center detected a third party product with a non-guid instanceId. InstanceID={ED588FAF-1B8F-43B4-ACA8-8E3C8-8E3C8-8.

The Windows Security Center detected a third party product with a non-guid instanceId. InstanceID={ED588FAF-1B8F-43B4-ACA8-8E3C8-8E3C85D.

Googling around I found a post stating it was claiming the issue was Spybot so I fully removed this and cleared all files relating to this including fixing registry. So after this again I was using the machine and it reboots again. Prior to the changed motherboard it was in a reboot loop and it was very short periods between rebooting. Now the machine has been all cleaned up etc. All components are new (within 2 years). I am not sure what is causing the reboots its not CPU overheating as I am monitoring temps aswell.

Months prior to all this I upgraded my HDD's and used Akronis to copy my disk image across since then until now not a single reboot issue at all so I am doubting this has caused it but I am totally lost now on how to fix this issue since its a new mobo I have left CPU at standard settings so no overclocking at the moment.

Edit - Have checked for infection with Avast/Malware antibytes/hitman/advanced system care to ensure no viral issues in my system. Have also gone into registry to see if I can find the instances mentioned above however its finding nothing, second edit BIOS flash issue resolved.

Regards,

Time-Bandit.

Last edited:
Failing hard drives and system memory can cause this, as well as an overheating cpu and chipset. Could even be a bad power supply.

If it stays on long enough, try doing a hard drive test (HDD Scan can be run within windows, at least to get the SMART status). A stress test on the system could trigger the reboot, then it's a matter of determining if it's from something being too hot or failing.

Running Memtest 86 (free bootable disc) could reveal if the memory is still operating correctly.

It still could be software, but you should be seeing some type of blue screen and error reported in the event logs just before/after the restart. Next time to reboot/startup hit F8 [windows 7/8] and select the option to NOT reboot on error, this will allow any errors that get generated to stay on your screen instead of the PC rebooting.

It's unfortunately a tough thing to diagnose.

If I read the first post correctly, it appears you have used the same OS install for multiple motherboards and other assorted hardware.
An OS can only be repaired so many times. First thing I would do is a fresh install.

@Pinky - Smart status says its ok for both my drives, unlikely it will be a Ram issues as the stick I got was brand new from the store in packaging to avoid static damage if the issue does continue I will most def give memtest a quick go how long do you suggest I have this run for? as for turning off the don't restart on error when everything is loading up is that option ment to stay on permanently once it has been turned on or is it just for that boot? as I have tried doing this multiple times and it still seems to reboot.

@wingman99 - Initially it all started while I was within windows playing a game which is not very taxing temp wise on the system I then reloaded started playing again then shortly after the same thing occurred. I started to freak out thinking it was my PSU but wrote it off since it felt to me like it was a software issue as all items in my rig are fairly newish so I began my googling after checking out event viewer with the errors mentioned in my first post there were no real answers on how to resolve the issue as one said check regedit which had nothing come up when I searched then another said its Spybot which I promptly removed and ensured all files and traces were fully cleared from my HDD.

@Mr.Scott - OS install has just been used on the two motherboards the original one and this one however the original motherboard seems to have died as connecting my old PSU and the current PSU to it nothing would load up it would not even load Bios totally dead have tried replacing CMOS battery and draining power etc only thing not tried is reseating the motherboard which isn't worth it since the motherboard is super old and not worth the effort.

The only thing I can think of is the CPU overheating however temps sitting in the 40's at the moment while idle 36 when under pressure from gaming we reach 51 or so then when trying to convert video files it does hit 60 I only did this once to test how high the temps are going as soon as I saw the spike immediately stopped as I think 60 is the limit for this CPU (not 100% sure). I have ordered new thermal paste artic silver brand also to put on CPU chip aswell.

Thanks you 3 for your replies and suggestions I really appreciate the help you have given so far.

Memtest runs "passes", which take about an hour. Let it run for a full pass.

It doesn't sound like a blue screen error if you disable the auto-restart feature and it still just restarts, which tells me it's leaning more and more towards a hardware problem.

For the software side, try running command prompt as administrator and sfc /scannow to ensure all the Windows system files are intact. Might not be a bad idea to run chkdsk /r as well, to make sure you don't have other file corruption.

Additionally, since this is the second motherboard for this windows install, track down the drivers for the chipset (Intel?) and install the latest from the manufacturer's website (you should be seeing a blue screen if it's a drive rissue, but mind as well be thorough).

What antivirus/malware scan do you use? For quick scans/cleanup I'm a fan of Malwarebytes and Eset's free online scanner (Emsisoft also makes a robust free scanner). Just make sure to NOT sign up for any trials with Malwarebytes, they sneak that check box in there somewhere during the install.

I wouldn't discount this possibility, depending on what tools you've used to clean things up (they may not have found everything).

sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r have both been run and fixed some stuff. So far all of today since I ran hitman/advanced syscare and the rest mentioned above no reboot 10hrs in use so far.

I am not sure if this is important or not however when I run vista dvd./cd and run cmd bootrec.exe /scanos it says no OS found I think this is important??? Tried to fix it following steps found here - https://neosmart.net/wiki/recovering-windows-bootloader/ from everthing under "The first two commands may fail"

Followed it to a T did bootrec.exe /scanos and it said one install found rebooted then it said there was an error and I went back into the visa dvd/cd and it auto fixed the issue did /scanos again and it said no os found again.

Had a look at what I did vs the info given on the website above my computer has vista installed to C drive as per windows however when I go into the vista dvd/cd and get it to list the disks it claims my os is on drive D. Tried all the steps again to get the lisiting of the os to show then did /scanos and again nothing found (I figure if it doesn't show windows can't use the repair function in future should I need it. Any advice on this would be great.

It doesn't sound like a blue screen error if you disable the auto-restart feature and it still just restarts, which tells me it's leaning more and more towards a hardware problem.

A BSOD is just as likely to be a hardware problem as a reboot without a BSOD...

And a BSOD-less reboot sounds like a PSU issue or a bad contact...

A BSOD is just as likely to be a hardware problem as a reboot without a BSOD...

To be clear, a BSOD *can* be a driver conflict or corruption of a system file, driver, or application... as well as a hardware issue causing software to malfunction. To reboot without such an error occurring would require something in the hardware to fail, rather catastrophically. Otherwise if software generates the error it gets noted in the event logs.

Regarding my issue turning off the reboot on error option wasn't working no idea why but the system would still reboot and not BSOD at all.

Update - Managed to sort out the 0 installs issue this is news to me but I'm sure the rest of you may have already known however I followed the instructions on the various pages above I posted earlier aswell as ones posted by Pinky following both procedures to the T neither worked and I would end up with a BCD error upon boot and windows would auto fix it system would boot fine and we could get into windows go back into the cmd prompt via Visa USB key and it would say no installs again so back to the start.

What I did was firstly unplug my other HDD (just one for my clean files) tried everything again still didn't work. Had CMD open pulled out the USB stick that everything was running off tried everything and then bootrec.exe /scanos and it said I had one install finally.

The registry issues and whatever was causing the initial reboot seem to be fixed so far yesterday was clear with no reboot and today I have been running the machine after applying some artic thermal to my CPU and about 5hrs use and no reboots thus far *touch wood*. I am also impressed how much of a difference the thermal paste made in my temps aswell since I was idle at 40c 51c+ underload now running at 30 max while under similar load as what was generating the 50+ temps. I have one other issue to resolve but I will make a new post for this so far so good hopefully my issues have been sussed out.

Would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this topic with suggestions on how to fix my pc issues I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Last edited:
Spoke to soon. Reboot issues seem to be resolved since last post no more reboots. New issue is random freezing within Windows once or twice after I reboot it seems like power isn't going to the harddrive (lights on front case don't light up) I fully power off then turn it back on and it works fine. Motherboard/ram are both new no BSOD errors come up event log shows nothing apart from unexpected reboot. Regarding the drivers I removed every single old driver that was not required to clean things up computer booting up very nice etc. Just this issue not sure how to establish what is causing it memtest86 says ram is fine. mbrfix bcd etc all done again to be sure. Noticed windows repair doesn't work however but I figure that may be because I am running from a USB stick comes up saying new hardware has been added or something.

Have noticed one thing in devices - USB Device (VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) with the little yellow error thing on it did driver update only and tried to point it to system32 claims best driver installed but no idea why the error is there.

Too much crap not working ended up going to Win 7 Ultimate. Computer keyboard/mouse stopped working after one 400mb update I got and before that it wouldn't boot after another windows did a repair and it failed and messed up the whole system did a restore and applied updates again seemed to work on sp1 however should Windows Update take this long to show me what updates are available ?? I know on Vista it was abit slow however I have left it on for a number of hours and it makes no mention of what updates are available or if its installing anything??

It should not take that long for windows 7 to update, should only take about 10 minutes. I don't know if you tried this already, have you tried using a different drive for the OS.

Last edited:
No I have not only have the two drives in my machine 2tb is the os one that was fully reformatted and the 1tb is now full since I transfered my data to that before I did the reformat on the 2tb. I have left it running once again but it just says checking for updates and doesn't do anything else at 7hrs now. Need to find a fix to get this working.

Looks like its a common issue installed about 5-6 updates manually now its working fine.

Was win7 sp1 install. Will make a new post later on how to go about overclock on this particular board if its doable or not. My old overclock on my previous board which was rubbish managed to reach 3.8ghz would be happy if I can reach that or may go abit lower don't want to push temps.

Back