• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Craigslist Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I am meeting someone in a public space tomorrow with a friend about a laptop. A Dell XPS L702X. He claims it has an i7 2720QM and a 780M. I cannot find any variant online with those specs. Also he says that he does not have a charger. Ad shows the screen black. He mad it out to seem like he was able to charge it up with a different charger of the same voltage and should be able to show it to me on. I have a charger that should fit and a portable battery charger that should also work. Anyone else seem skeptical? He is wanting $250 for it.

well it is possible to swap out the cpu on laptops depending on the variant, larger laptops tend to be socketed vs soldered in thinnere ones. as far as the GPU, that might be possible if the laptop has a replace-able gpu. the older laptop my dad has, has a NV something or other that plugs in. needs to be replaced or oven trick since its having issues with video.

as far as laptop chargers, as long as the connector matches along with voltage it will work. if the charger has a lower current though, let it charge the battery for 5mins first before powering it on. that is assuming the battery is dead to begin with, you might also luck in finding a universal laptop charger on ebay/newegg.com

This is pretty simple. Have him start it up and show system into lol.

There's zero reason it shouldn't work unless it's damaged already

XPS laptops, especially the older ones like you're talking about, typically are set up for CPU/GPU/RAM swaps.
It's worth noting, those XPS laptops typically have a higher amperage charger than your normal laptop.

Well... in the end he thought i was talking about another laptop. Got a GT70 with an i7 4700MQ & 780M for $250.

Back