• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HB SLI Bridge & EK Waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adenineX

Registered
Anyone tried setting up a HB bridge with 2 GTX 1080's and EK full cover blocks? I know that the HB bridge will not fit and was thinking I could break out the Demel and fix that. Anyone done this already or have any better ideas?

Unless you're gaming on 4k or multi monitor setup you dont really need an hb bridge the led bridges by evga or msi will do just fine. Even the ribbon bridges will work at a reduced data flow

Don't know about the 1080, but I used to have a couple of 980's on a 4k/60Hz monitor, and there was no memory bandwidth issue whatsoever...

All games were running maxed out@60FPS.

Unless you're gaming on 4k or multi monitor setup you dont really need an hb bridge the led bridges by evga or msi will do just fine. Even the ribbon bridges will work at a reduced data flow

Yeah, I have (3) 28" 4K monitors set up in surround so I am hoping to get the hb bridge to work. The led bridge is the fallback plan.

unless you've already got one in hand, evga reps said theres should be out any day. Personally I wouldn't use a dremel for fear of tiny particles being stuck that I can ese that could problems down the road

Thanks. I could not find any info on when or if they were going to be out. That is my best option... I can send the Nvidia bridge back when it gets here.

While you wait, you can use 2 single ribbon SLI connector and it will do the same job as an HB SLI Bridge.

While you wait, you can use 2 single ribbon SLI connector and it will do the same job as an HB SLI Bridge.

Not true.
I was hoping the 4K SLI issue in RB6 Siege was because of the SLI bridge, (SLI works great in the game, except at 4K SLI actually diminishes performance) so I ran some benchmarks and was dissappointed . I ran them with 1 and 2 soft bridges (no difference there), 1 EVGA PRO V2 bridge (LED Hard bridge), and Nvidia's HB bridge. Tom Clancy's THE DIVISION showed marked improvement at 4K from Soft bridge to the EVGA Hard bridge, but very slight difference from the EVGA bridge to Nvidia's HB bridge. RB6S, Unigine Valley and 3DMARK showed no difference at all between Soft, EVGA or HB. . Here are my numbers:

ALL BENCHMARKS ARE AT STOCK SPEED NO OVERCLOCK.

In RB6S these numbers did not improve with any combination of SLI bridge.

RB6S SLI 2560x1440 AVERAGE: 114.1 MIN: 89.9 EVERYTHING MAXED With Post-Process SET@ FXAA (T-AA looks fuzzy) and Multisample AA @TXAA 4X

RB6S SINGLE CARD: 2560x1440 AVERAGE: 64.4 MIN: 87.0

RB6S 4k 3840X2160 EVERYTHING MAXED With Post-Process OFF AND Multisample AA TEMPORAL

SINGLE CARD: AVERAGE: 101.4 MIN:64.4
SLI-------------------AVERAGE: 53.1 MIN:46.4

THE DIVISION:
SOFT BRIDGE: 4K Typical: 59.6
EVGAHard Led: 4K Typical: 86.5
HB BRIDGE: 4K Typical: 87.8 (This 1 frame inprovement is actually consistent; I'll take it!)

Unigine Valley Numbers did not improve with any combination of SLI bridge.
ULTRA 4K X8 AA FPS: 81 MIN FPS: 27.3

3DMARK ULTRA GRAPHICS SCORE: One run each. Shows what you would expect from standard variance from one run to the next without changing bridges. So no real change here.

SOFT BRIDGE: 13887
EVGA BRIDGE: 13869
NVIDIA HB : 13819

Anyone tried setting up a HB bridge with 2 GTX 1080's and EK full cover blocks? I know that the HB bridge will not fit and was thinking I could break out the Demel and fix that. Anyone done this already or have any better ideas?

Did you break out your dremel and grind away? I was thinking of doing the same thing with my HB bridge but figured I'd wait for EVGA or EK to come out with one. Let me know if you tried it or not. I still might do it. I ran some benchmarks before I watercooled my Titan XP's and saw no difference between the HB and my EVGA LED bridge at any resolution. I did see marked improvement over the ribbon/soft SLI bridge. Doubling up on the soft bridges did nothing. I posted my numbers in this thread; take a look see.

Its a physical issue with the Nvidia's stupid design of the HB bridge. They made it with these angled points that hit the water block and won't fit.
This is the problem: http://s33.postimg.org/5xg5vgyr3/SLI_HB_EKWB.jpg
This sucks, I'm in the same boat as you! I have my HB bridge coming today and my cards will be here Monday. I was hoping to order the water blocks today but If I can't use the bridge I'm going to hold out for a solution. The bridge makes all the difference in the world with 3 hi-res monitors running surround! Back to the drawing board I guess......

OH MAN what the hell... I still haven't water blocked my two asus 08g 1080s because I been enjoying leds. I have my two ekwb gtx 1080 water blocks EK-FC Terminal TRIPLE Parallel block. now I wonder will I have this issue using EK-FC Terminal TRIPLE Parallel block. I rather still use my HB bridge.

I did it and it works Great! I removed the cover, took a file and barely shaved an 8th inch off the points. The screw holes are still intact! I then took a velcro strp and placed the cover back with only a slight off-set. [ b4.jpg after.jpg Cover top view.jpg Cover front view.jpg

Attachments

• 20160909_144630.jpg
    20160909_144630.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 2,484
  • 20160909_145838.jpg
    20160909_145838.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 2,481
Last edited:
Just wanted to add that the HEATKILLER water blocks are all fully compatible with the Nvidia HB SLI bridge. Without having to manipulate it ;)

I've never heard of them! (Or should I say "You guys"?) So I got online after your post and tried to find an "in-depth review". I couldn't find any. I only found installation videos and poorly made amateur type videos.

Yeah, we don't have a youtube channel yet. Maybe in the future... Also, there are generaly nearly no reviews for GPU blocks, but I could provide you with some links for our CPU waterblock:
http://thermalbench.com/2015/04/03/watercool-heatkiller-iv-pro-cpu-waterblock/
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/
http://www.reviewstudio.net/2409-watercool-heatkiller-iv-pro-copper-ni-review-the-deserved-cooling

Rest assured that our GPU blocks are just as good ;) For further questions, please feel free to take a look in our WATERCOOL Club here on OCF,

Yeah, we don't have a youtube channel yet. Maybe in the future...

Rest assured that our GPU blocks are just as good ;) For further questions, please feel free to take a look in our WATERCOOL Club here on OCF,

Some of the images appear to be dead. I think you need to edit a few posts and host the images here.

And yes, every reputed H20 company should have a youtube page with their products on there. I know some have pages and don't come out with many videos but I think its very important to do so. I'm very visual. I can be a impulse buyer just by watching a product video. :D

Anticipate problems with EK Classy KPE + 980Ti Kingpin SLI bridge?

Hi,

Was wondering if I would have any issues installing the MSI HB dragon designed SLI Bridge on two 980 TI Kingpins with EK Classy KPE Waterblocks?

My reason for wanting to use the MSI HB bridge is cosmetic as it matches my MSI motherboard design even though I don't have 1080 type gpus
and don't need the bandwidth. Also couldn't you insert the bridge in reverse?

Thanks.

BTW can someone confirm the maximum width available for bridge placement if you have a ruler available?

Last edited:
Hi Guys new Member here. Ive been doing alot of research on these hb bridges The difference between standard ribbon bridge and the Nvidia led and HB bridges is that the ribbon bridges have different length trace wires running through them delivering packets of information at different times wich makes them less efficent overall and the nvida led bridge and the hb bridge trace wires are modified to all be the exact same length so all information is transferred at the exact same time making them more efficient. And even at 4K the result with the single band nvidia led bridge and the HB Bridges will be almost identical (excluding surround set ups)and both above the standard ribbon its not until you reach to 5k/8k that the HB Bridges start to shine which is exactly what nvidia's chart is stating on the sli page. There is a video were a guy had all the bridges X-Ray'd and it proves what im stating as well as the newer bridges (nvidia led and HB varieties) having a better quality soldering job on the pins. Im in the process of doing a build and now its really got me leaning to 5k for my monitor now.So i an justify Buying an HB bridge and actually utilizing it.

Cheers

Back