• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wiring 5v from psu to commodore64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chop_wood

Hey so I was helping someone figure out their Commodore . He bought a SDcard adapter online but it has a blue userport?? connector for power. The sx64 doesnt have a connector for this though. I was going to hook it up to a PSU to see if it works but dont want to fry anything. I read that the connector just needs 5v to the wire in the photo. My question was do I need to hook a ground to something or is it safe to boot up? 2016-06-21 13.41.29.jpg . Is there a less ghetto way I can do this :)

bahaha wow i screwed that up lol. so ok red wire same connector..Musta looked at the wrong picture rofl...
@ lochekey, thx for the link, does it matter considering the 'B' pin is blank anyway - only one wire coming from pin 2 that goes to the card reader for power. Does the ground from the molex need to be attached to anything?

It looks like an old cell phone charger should be plenty. Or are there other devices run off the PSU? Just connect the 5V and ground.

Can you get a picture of the backside of that connector so we can see the wiring?

Well I turned it on and it works fine lol . Card reader gets power and boots games. I just shoved the ground into another pin . Im only worried for longer term use and safety.

Id like to hook up a smaller 5v wall wort - tried that and it gets the same voltage but wont power it on for some reason, probably just doing something stupid

****update

so it turns out the the blue connector is just like the larger one that this model c64 doesnt have. I just cut plastic out blocking the end so it can push right into the back of the machine. the power wire lines up perfectly and draws power right off the system. Just like how back in the day modifying my no sli DFI mobo x4 PCIe port (cutting a notch out the end) so i could stick in a x16 graphics card after tracing the chipset to turn on sli lol

Last edited:
I would suggest just putting a Molex plug in place of the userport and just run it that way.

Looks like 3 wires on that blue conntor or am i seeing things. Would it be another ground or another wire used to provide 5v to another part of the circuit.

Back